All Copper Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
Does anyone make a gas fired storage water heater, 50 gal, that has all copper internals and connections?

I've had it with relying on galvanic unions and grounding wires. Sooner or later a water heater made from iron that is connected to a plumbing system that is otherwise all copper pipe and brass fittings starts corroding.

Also, copper has a thermal conductivity that is roughly ten times that of iron, steel, and stainless steel.

To this retired chemist, such a water heater ought to have a much longer lifetime. It ought to justify the higher price of copper with a longer amortization period. After all, that labor to construct a water heater must be a significant part of the overall cost of goods sold.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Way back when, there were some made that way...probably haven't been made with copper for 75-years or more, though. There are, I think, some with plastic or SS tanks (I know some indirect WH have SS tanks, cause I have one, not sure about those with burners). Scrap price on clean copper is around $5500/T, steel $225/T. That's a bit more than trivial.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
At one time they made water heaters that would last for decades. The problem was they would fill up with limescale rendering them uselessly inefficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks