(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Addition of bathroom and washer

Default Addition of bathroom and washer

Can i do this? I am helping a friend do an add on of shower,toilet wash box and vanity. The question is--- do i have to vent shower which is down stream of the toilet? the lay out will be as follows--- toilet at far end of run then 3x2 wye for vanity (venting from there) then shower 2", the washer box 2" and onto the old 3" under old portion of house, so im not sure if another vent is needed. Its all basically in a straight line from wc to tie in except a turn under old portion at that point ill add a co.

3x3x3 y w 45 w co (end of run), 3" lr to wc flng, 3x2 y w 2" 45 to vanity (about 8') and 2" vent to roof, 3x2 y (about 2') p trap to shower, 3x2 y (about 5')p trap to washer box then thru wall make turn w 3x3x3y w 45 w co, then 15-18' to tie in w 3x3x3 y w 45, so simple yes?

I think this will work just not sure about vent for shower being down stream of wc, please advise.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piper2 View Post
    ...not sure about vent for shower being down stream of wc, please advise.
    That would not concern me since the vent is there for the shower and not for the toilet. However, I would be a bit concerned about the nearest venting for the toilet being eight feet downstream.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

no no the vanity is about 8 ' from wc vent is at vanity

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The shower needs to be vented before it enters the main line that the toilet is on.

The washer needs to be vented before it enters other plumbing lines or stacks.

well that blows our plan out of he water...looks like 3 vents total, 1.5" each before entering 3" main run.
    Last edited by piper2; 12-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.

There can be a huge gap between how you describe your piping and how you actually install it. HOW you install it will determine what and where the vents have to be.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber