Hot water PEX in garage froze

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin James Henry

Reaction score
I've been trying for 2 days to thaw it out. Pex comes out of the wall to a spigot. The pex goes into the wall through the basement and up through the ceiling, tied into the kitchen sink hot water. Last winter this did not happen. I think though, as it worked a few weeks ago that water in the garden hose which was connected to the spigot, caused the pex to freeze. Now I have put heat tape on the pex, over aluminum and covered it with insulation, but that hasn't helped (30 hours) The worst part is, everything is in walls and the basement is finished. I thought about drilling a door knob hole under the kitchen sink and sticking a hair dryer in there. I've ran the hot water in the kitchen for a while, thinking that maybe hot water flowing through the pipes would push the ice along.

Any ideas appreciated.

Kevin James Henry

Reaction score
The faucet type I have is the one on the top.

sill-cock-types.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vast majority of frost free sillcocks CANNOT drain if you leave a stoppered hose on (with say a nozzle on the end), and thus, once the water starts to freeze, it will often freeze the normally dry sillcock, often splitting it, and may continue into the wall some. Be careful trying to defrost things as if that did happen, it could be leaking into the wall/ceiling and it may take awhile to notice, depending on the construction. You can listen carefully, or look at the water meter when everything else is off and try to determine if it is leaking.

FWIW, while there may be others, the only frostfree sillcocks I know of that can release water even if you leave a hose on, are a few models from Woodford.

The Pex is probably flexible (stretchy) enough to survive freezing, but fittings and crimp rings may be loosened or broken.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think the cap is the cover to the vacuum breaker...if it didn't split the outlet pipe (the shutoff is way inside), it may not leak into the house unless you turn it on. If you're lucky, you can pick up a rebuild kit and maybe stop the leak at the vacuum breaker, but it may require a new valve be installed. Watch for leaks inside the wall when you have it turned on.

Kevin James Henry

Reaction score
The problem was the f'n cap was stuck to the white plastic thing, or vacuum breaker, both are threaded. I removed the plastic vacuum breaker which was threaded into the cap with 2 pair water pump pliers, marred the crap out of the threads, threaded the plastic piece into the valve and then put the cap on and magically it works. It was fine to begin with but I took it apart and like an idiot didn't remember which side up the little tiny plastic thing on the inside with the oring went. Anyhow, I think this happened to begin with because I washed off a car and then didn't disconnect the hose from the valve. It's never happened before this Winter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks