Plastic bolts too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelNJ

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace two toilet seats installed by the previous homeowner. Both are held in place with plastic bolts/winged nut but I am unable to loose them even a little. With a flat-head screwdriver from up top and pliers pinched on the nut underneath and maximum elbow grease, I've only succeeded in starting to strip one of them. Even trying to move the nut has proved fruitless.

It feels like they are all deadbolted in. Can anyone offer some help, it would be greatly appreciated. This should be a five minute job, but it has me cursing up a storm!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did the new seat come with new ones? If so, don't worry about it, either keep torqueing them until they break, or cut them off (need to be careful not to scratch the toilet, though). They could have used some thread locking compound on them, as those sometimes are hard to keep tight otherwise.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
More often than not is is easier to hack saw the seat mounts horizontally just above the bowl, using care not to touch the porcelain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks