Newb to boilers

Users who are viewing this thread

tinrat

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I built a shop a few years back with the idea of using Hydronic heat in the floor. I had a early on demand lp water heater hooked to my pex floor. This has got me by for the last three years with OK results I guess. Well it has crapped out due to the thermocouple is like from a different part of the solar system and refuses to fire. Oh well.. I want a new heat source. So now I have purchased this electric boiler But.... its a steam boiler. I would like to know if a steam boiler can be made to work in a floor heat system. Can they be "detuned" so that they just heat water? I have a Sussman ES 30. And... Am I posting this in the right place being a newb or should this be placed elsewhere? Thank you in advance for any and all comments.
tinrat

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Since the boiler's internal controls are set up for steam, converting it to something that would work for water would be a serious hack. Depending on what your system's temp & peak BTU/hr requirements are, there is a good chance you'd be able to drop in a $200 electric hot water heater rather than an electric boiler.

What was the output temp you had set up with the propane tankless?

Was it pumped-direct or primary/secondary?

How much propane did you go through in a mid-winter month? (A rough measure of the peak BTU requirements.)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The controls for steam are not as complicated as they are for hydronic. Its a pretty easy swap though. You won't want the pressure-trol (shuts the boiler off at set steam pressure) You will most likely want to swap that for a honeywell L8148 high limit / circulator relay combination. The low water cut off should be ok if it is electronic. If its float operated you want to swap it for an electronic version. Other than that the boiler itself is no different than a forced hot water version.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It was not clear to me that single retrofit aquastat would be either simple or the "right" control solution on that boiler, but I defer to Tom on that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks