Above Ground Well Pump Cracked in the Cold

Users who are viewing this thread

mikewags

Reaction score
The title says it all - i believe my well pump under extreme cold cracked because it had water inside. Took some photos.

Based on the photos am i out of luck? Need to replace the whole pump?

Any information/advice would help. Thanks

IMG_20131210_180400.jpg
IMG_20131212_110314.jpg
IMG_20131212_110351.jpg

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only two words to describe that pump- old and older. Looks like you missed that big crack in the 1st post huh?

My advice is to buy a whole new pump/motor unit. Choose a good quality pump with a cast-iron housing and not one sold by the big box stores.

mikewags

Reaction score
Yeah, i didn't notice that crack until I saw a puddle of water under the pump yesterday. Really sucks because the thing was working fine all summer long. I really should have prepared for this weather better.

What do you think I will spend to replace this with a comparable pump?

This cold snap has been a real learning experience - unfortunately I had to learn the hard way :(

Let me know if you can suggest any brands/places to buy... Thanks.

mikewags

Reaction score
As it stands now this pump is toast correct?

I'm not trying to sound cheap or anything, but was wondering if that crack could be welded back up.

I will probably be buying a new one/replacement - but I guess I'm just wondering if this thing is a paper weight now (an ancient paper weight).

mikewags

Reaction score
Pressure gauge has gone back down to 0 since things have thawed out.

Any help/direction of a new pump to by would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for something comprable to this pump to do the job - this is just for yard irrigation/sprinklers - and there is a 30 gallon pressure tank in the mix.

Here is a photo of the current pump specs:

IMG_20131212_122627.jpg
HP: 1
PH: 1

I'm looking at the goulds jet pumps here: Looking to spend maybe around $200 - $400 if i can.

http://www.aquascience.net/jet-pumps/

Thanks again guys.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cast iron can be welded with nickel rod or brazed, but as old as that pump is, you are far better off replacing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks