(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Neep help on what kind of regulator for LP gas?

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default Neep help on what kind of regulator for LP gas?

    Hey guys. I just installed a new natural gas/Liquid Propane gas fired, hot water condensing boiler. Gas line is installed as well. Natural Gas company is taking extremely long(going on 8 weeks now) to come install service. It is December and getting cold and I want to temporarily hook Liquid Propane up to system. My problem is that I want to hook an LP barbecue tank up to the system, but being unsure about the specs on the regulator on the barbecue tank, i dont want to use that regulator. I looked for specs, but it does not specify.
    Anyway, the boiler calls for 11w.c.minimum and 14w.c. for Liquid Propane and no more than 1 inch column of water pressure drop from static pressure to startup. Can someone recommend a suitable regulator for this install and where to get it so I can get this boiler fired up and have heat already. Thank you very much guys.
    Last edited by thekid1; 12-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    You should only use a regulator that is made for that tank size.

    A BBQ tank will only last minuets in your application.

    You can not just change gas types. Unless you have the proper orifice you can blow yourself up.


    Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  3. #3
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    You absolutely can not use L.P. on a natural gas appliance. The pressures and the gas itself is different.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member Reach4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid1 View Post
    Hey guys. I just installed a new natural gas fired, hot water condensing boiler. Gas line is installed as well. Natural Gas company is taking extremely long(going on 8 weeks now) to come install service. It is December and getting cold and I want to temporarily hook Liquid Propane up to system. My problem is that I want to hook an LP barbecue tank up to the system, but being unsure about the specs on the regulator on the barbecue tank, i dont want to use that regulator. I looked for specs, but it does not specify.
    Are you saying that you want to
    1. recharge little LP barbecue tanks from your big propane tank?
    2. heat your house from little LP barbecue tanks
    3. to have the LP gas people to hook up your boiler properly, but you are considering converting your gas barbecue grill to LP?
    4. do something else?

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thank you everyone for your responses.
    *****Please note i made a mistake. I meant 11w.c. min. and 14w.c. max.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    You should only use a regulator that is made for that tank size.

    A BBQ tank will only last minuets in your application.

    You can not just change gas types. Unless you have the proper orifice you can blow yourself up.


    Good Luck.
    The boiler i have is a simple turn of a screw to convert from NG to LP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    You absolutely can not use L.P. on a natural gas appliance. The pressures and the gas itself is different.
    The boiler I have accepts NG or LP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    Are you saying that you want to
    1. recharge little LP barbecue tanks from your big propane tank?
    2. heat your house from little LP barbecue tanks
    3. to have the LP gas people to hook up your boiler properly, but you are considering converting your gas barbecue grill to LP?
    4. do something else?
    3. I am trying to temporarily heat my house from little propane barbecue tanks. Again, I fixed my original post that I wrote, but in case no one reread it, i meant to say water column, not psi. Boiler needs 11w.c minimum to 14w.c. maximum. Thanks guys. I am aware a barbecue tank wont hold up too long, but it is a high efficiency boiler in a very small house and its only temporary. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by thekid1; 12-12-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  6. #6
    DIY Junior Member jac04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I would suggest contacting your local propane supplier. Tell them what you are doing, and have them come out and set up a small tank, complete with regulator. Places around here supply them as reserve tanks - they are usually meant to sit next to a big tank and act as an emergency reserve. It will surely cost you something to have this done (hopefully, they will rent you the equipment), but at least it will be done correctly and to applicable codes & standards. The last thing you want is something to go wrong.

  7. #7
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    I would suggest contacting your local propane supplier. Tell them what you are doing, and have them come out and set up a small tank, complete with regulator. Places around here supply them as reserve tanks - they are usually meant to sit next to a big tank and act as an emergency reserve. It will surely cost you something to have this done (hopefully, they will rent you the equipment), but at least it will be done correctly and to applicable codes & standards. The last thing you want is something to go wrong.
    Thank you. I do appreciate your advice and concern, however, the whole point is to avoid using a company. Until NG company comes it is temporary. A gas company is going to do the same thing(step down whatever their pressure is, to 11w.c..
    As long as I know boiler needs 11w.c. , i just need to get a barbecue tank to do that with a proper size regulator. The problem is that the regulator on my barbecue tank does not specify any w.c or psi so i need a new one.

    That being said, can someone specify a suitable regulator that will meet these specifications?

  8. #8
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid1 View Post
    Thank you. I do appreciate your advice and concern, however, the whole point is to avoid using a company. Until NG company comes it is temporary. A gas company is going to do the same thing(step down whatever their pressure is, to 11w.c..
    As long as I know boiler needs 11w.c. , i just need to get a barbecue tank to do that with a proper size regulator. The problem is that the regulator on my barbecue tank does not specify any w.c or psi so i need a new one.

    That being said, can someone specify a suitable regulator that will meet these specifications?
    A couple of things. 1st off nobody makes a regulator that will do what you want it to do and 2nd a 20 lb. propane tank won't vaporize fast enough to supply sufficient btu to the appliance.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

  9. #9
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    A couple of things. 1st off nobody makes a regulator that will do what you want it to do and 2nd a 20 lb. propane tank won't vaporize fast enough to supply sufficient btu to the appliance.
    1) If nothing is available to do this then how does an LP gas company do it?

    2) Wouldn't a small 20lb barbecue tank vaporize fast enough in a 50-100 ft run of 1 1/4 pipe before it gets to boiler? Im not hooking the tank directly next to boiler, its located outside.

  10. #10
    DIY Junior Member jac04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19

    Default

    The LP company has tanks & regulators that are designed to feed fuel to boilers. Heck, even my LP company couldn't get it right the first time. They installed a single regulator that supplied the proper static pressure, but it couldn't handle start-up of my boiler and I had ignition and flame-out issues. They had to install a properly sized 2-stage regulator setup.

    I certainly appreciate what you are trying to do yourself, bit I still say the best thing to do is find a local LP supplier and have them do it. Or, talk to the local LP supplier and ask them what regulator you need to use to hook your BBQ tank to your XXX btu/hr boiler. They're (supposedly) the experts.
    Last edited by jac04; 12-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member Reach4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid1 View Post
    1) If nothing is available to do this then how does an LP gas company do it?

    2) Wouldn't a small 20lb barbecue tank vaporize fast enough in a 50-100 ft run of 1 1/4 pipe before it gets to boiler? Im not hooking the tank directly next to boiler, its located outside.
    1. The LP company is probably going to be able to rent the regulator with the tank. The tank that they would rent you is going to be bigger than a the barbecue tank. http://science.blurtit.com/668014/ho...pane-tank-last or http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_w...hange_the_tank At $15 per tank refill, that will be some expensive heat.

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-2-...1891/203263169 is a regulator. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthingt...7701/202936849 is a 100 pound cylinder. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthingt...2018/202034861 is a 40 pound cylinder

    I don't have advice or experience on using them.

    2. The propane does not come out of the tank as a liquid, but rather as a gas.
    Last edited by Reach4; 12-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.

  12. #12
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Well this sucks, but the good news is that i have found out that barbecue tank regulators are set at a constant 11w.c. But there is no way this setup with just barbecue tank and regulator would work on an 80,000 btu condensing boiler?

  13. #13
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid1 View Post
    Well this sucks, but the good news is that i have found out that barbecue tank regulators are set at a constant 11w.c. But there is no way this setup with just barbecue tank and regulator would work on an 80,000 btu condensing boiler?


    What is the Model Number of your boiler ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  14. #14
    DIY Junior Member thekid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donl View Post
    what is the model number of your boiler ?
    alp080bw-2g02

  15. #15
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    You should only use a regulator that is made for that tank size.

    A BBQ tank will only last minuets in your application.

    You can not just change gas types. Unless you have the proper orifice you can blow yourself up.


    Good Luck.
    Sorry to make light of this.but I've seen people blow up their orifices by doing wierd things with Gas. And Kid, yes, LIPA sucks.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of faucet is this?
    By nickslick in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
  2. What kind of pump
    By tomalidav in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
  3. what kind of valve
    By mak123 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
  4. What kind of pump
    By Handywomen in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
  5. What Kind of Relay does this need??
    By Brad_1234 in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •