I screwed up, tiled my floor too tight for the closet flange to sit flush

Users who are viewing this thread

annagibs

Reaction score
Hi all I'm having problem that I hope you guys can solve
I didn't account for the bevel underside of the flange so now it sticks up, rather than being flush.
What are my options?? Flange without bevel? Somehow chip the tile away? What's best? Thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Sticks up how far?
2. Is it sturdy and stable/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As long as the toilet sets over the flange, you will be okay.
There is quite a bit of space under a bowl.

cadet_pro_bowl_6.jpg

annagibs

Reaction score
Yes way too high! Went back to the depot for a grinder and found the stainless flange with a smaller bevel. It still isn't completely flush with the tile it lips up maybe 1/8 on one side. Is that going to cause me any problems??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet fits over it without hitting (do a dry fit), and, you can anchor the ring to the subflooring (you might want to put a washer or shim or something to keep from deforming the ring), it will work.

FWIW, Sioux city makes some they claim will fit flush in that situation...I haven't seen one in person, but supposedly, it's got a nice clean 90-degree angle on the bottom. You do want one with a SS ring, not the painted steel, though (and Sioux City does make them, too).

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you really want it to lay flat, a diamond blade in a 4" angle grinder will allow one to grind around the pipe to fit as needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks