Need Help Please! Trying to locate a Case #5160 ballcock (aka #41 Blue Label)

Users who are viewing this thread

pourhouse

Reaction score
Desperate to locate this discontinued part for a Case 2nd Model A toilet. This toilet is in a special color that matches the bathroom tile in our old house.

When the toilet is flushed, the handle sticks and the water keeps running until you lift the handle up, also water runs out the top of the round cap at the top left when refilling. Due to it's age, I was hoping on replacing the entire ballcock. Due to the design of the Case, I don't think I can just install a universal assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Desperate to locate this discontinued part for a Case 2nd Model A toilet. This toilet is in a special color that matches the bathroom tile in our old house.

When the toilet is flushed, the handle sticks and the water keeps running until you lift the handle up, also water runs out the top of the round cap at the top left when refilling. Due to it's age, I was hoping on replacing the entire ballcock. Due to the design of the Case, I don't think I can just install a universal assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Well, if you want the same fill valve, you are going to be spending 237 bucks on Chicago Faucet Shoppe. And if you wouldn't pay that, I recommend a Wolverine Brass Ballcock from LockePlumbing.com.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Personally, I would call the local Briggs dealer and see if they don't have a repair kit for the #41. This would be the innards of the ballcock, which wouldn't be too hard for you to replace. (Plunger, washer, etc.) That would be much, much cheaper than a new one (like tens of dollars instead of hundreds). And maybe it would solve your problem. Let us know what you find out; we can do more research if you need it.

However, right now if I were you I would go to that famous auction site that begins with E and type in Rare Vintage Case Plumbing. There's a 41 there with the blue tag on it with a starting bid of $9.

And if you want to avoid a bidding war and instead "snipe" it, I have had great success using gixen.com for several years.

Last edited:

pourhouse

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies! Especially wjcandee, that part from the site you suggested is coming here, although I didn't snipe it (ouch!)

From the other replies, I don't think the Wolverine Brass would work with the Case. I did contact Briggs and explained my problem and as of today, still have not responded to my request and I don't have a local Briggs dealer, but thanks for the suggestions!

I will post an update here once I receive it and install.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Great news! Feel free to come back with questions once your part arrives. Whether it's about installing it or adjusting it, we're here to help! Sorry someone bid the part up on you; the seller probably didn't expect to do so well on this sale. But at least you have it on the way and it is pretty clearly the actual authentic part!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Be aware that I have received Case 62-8 fill valves, if that is your model, with a short shank so that the supply line will not tighten unless you cut some of the nut off so it does not hit the ballcock nut on the bottom of the tank before it gets tight.

pourhouse

Reaction score
Just an update on my installation....
The part arrived and it was "new old," and I mean "OLD stock." The most challenging part was removing the old one without breaking the toilet. Patience, might, a large socket and PB Blaster finally won out just before the Sawzall was about to be put to use. The water closet (back then you did not say toilet) was near a corner, so I did not have a lot of room to access it.

I installed the new ballcock, wearing my white gloves so as to keep any fingerprints off this (almost) priceless piece of vintage plumbing history, finished the water connections, turned on the water supply, gently pushed the flush lever down not knowing if things would work correctly and it would return to it's horizontal position or forever stick in the down position while hundreds of gallons of water filled my septic tank. I watched with anticipation as the water in the tank disappeared, the large black rubber stopper fell sealing the hole, the tank began to refill and lo and behold the handle returned to it's correct resting position! I began laughing hysterically (like Tom Hanks in the Money Pit when the tub falls through the floor and crashes on the floor below.) and realized this must be what it feels like to conquer Mount Everest!!

Seriously though, the guy from the auction site who contemplated retiring after receiving my winning bid, actually sent me an email to let me know that people in Maine don't throw anything away and if I ever needed anything old to contact him, as he either has it or can find it for me. He also said that he did not realize how rare (and valuable) that old plumbing part was and he almost threw it out. Thanks to everyone who helped me, this was a great Christmas present for my wife, a gift that keeps on giving (well, taking or technically removing anyway.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks