Acrylic bathtub recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
I've always used cast iron tubs but am considering using an acrylic one. It will be for an alcove tub/shower combo. It seems that the drop in & free standing tubs are nice quality, but when you look at the alcove tubs, they tend to be "builder grade". Any advice would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've installed a few Kohler tubs that were nice.

wood_609.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45833-Archer-tub-by-Kohler&highlight=archer

And I thought this Mirabelle was nice.

linda_tub_06.jpg

When tubs are this tall and square, it's very hard to get them into the room without removing some drywall.
We removed the center stud at the front, and replaced it after the tub was in place.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tons of choices with acrylic, and they look nice. Do they all need to be set in mortar?

Really only if the floor doesn't match up well. You don't know until you have it in the space.
The Archer in the picture above was perfect to the floor without mortar.
The Mirabelle, since it set on a raised floor on the apron side, needed mortar underneath. It's a good idea to have a $4 bag on hand just in case.
I make sure I have a four foot level for the tub also. The floor may not be level, but the tub should be when you install it. It makes the tile so much easier.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Acri-Tec Tubs - Loca Vancouver Supplier

I love our tub and it was made locally here outside Vancouver by Acri-tec.

Two bags of mortar mix underneath it.

Feels solid and is a nice soaker style without all the busy face design to the front skirt.

My number one rule for buying a tub is to "GET IN IT" - try it out before you bring it home....

This is the one I bought for my family. Both my wife and I climbed into it at the wholesaler. Super comfy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jm66208

Reaction score
John, any thoughts on longevity? What does the finish look like after a couple years? I hear they are "repairable" but not sure what that means. I'm considering one in a tub/shower combo for a family with six kids!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Me and my family all use this one right now. My master bathroom is just insulation and vapour barrier still. Been five of us every day for three plus years and it looks great.

Never had to repair one as yet.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks