(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check Valve Shutoff Loud

I do not think the swing check is any good in that location as the pipes are now Also the hot water return is mixing with the cold water. There should have been a tee in the cold water line before the swing check and that would have prevented hot from getting into the cold. I would change the swing check for a spring check. I would do away with the tee below the recirculating pump. As it is now instead of hot mixing with cold at the mixing valve, hot could be mixing with warm or even hot mixing with hot.

It is probably the tank making the noise and resonating.

I am surprised that install is to code and was inspected. Very cool how they routed around the electrical outlet.

I think that tank is to heavy to be hanging like that. Wait until it is waterlogged.

But I am not a plumber.
    Last edited by DonL; 12-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
    I do not think the swing check is any good in that location as the pipes are now Also the hot water return is mixing with the cold water. There should have been a tee in the cold water line before the swing check and that would have prevented hot from getting into the cold. I would change the swing check for a spring check. I would do away with the tee below the recirculating pump. As it is now instead of hot mixing with cold at the mixing valve, hot could be mixing with warm or even hot mixing with hot.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

After looking harder at the piping (me not being an expert by any measure...) it does appear that the cold water for the rest of the house is not branched off of this line at all, sorry for stating that in my other posts. So this is just the hot water supply section that I have photographed. Does that change things at all?

I think the the pressure must drop on this cold water feed to the hot water heater slightly when the rest of the house fixtures are calling for cold water - then when the quick shutoff happens that swings this valve a bit? Causing the thump thump sound?

With that in mind, and the other points made by others - any reason to not switch to a spring check valve? (Watts part LF601S Lead Free* cast copper silicon alloy Maxi-Flo Check Valves).