Question about closet flange:

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
A contractor is building a small addition on my house. His plumber has installed an Oatey Easy Tap Flange in the bathroom sub floor. It looks VERY flimsy to me!

Are they standard? will it hold up over time? How much trouble would it be to replace it at this stage?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
oatey_easy_tap_closet.jpg

That's a pretty nice flange. :)
He did good.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen a traditional brass flange being installed since I've been plumbing. 1974
Those normally went with lead bends, which we are pulling out now and replacing with something like the Oatey above.

oldberkeley

Reaction score
LOL again. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm old! ;)

May I ask you just a couple more questions, and I thank you for your patience.

1. Just out of curiosity, is the knockout center piece there as a replacement for the old "rag in the pipe" method during rough-in?

2. I know that there's much discussion about the flange being installed over the finished tile floor as opposed to tiling up to it. Again, this may be out-of-date thinking, but I've always thought that over is the optimal installation, when possible. Your thoughts on this?

3. If I wanted the metal ring over the finished tile, can just the ring be removed from this fitting and then re-attached, or does the whole thing have to be removed?

TIA.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. Just out of curiosity, is the knockout center piece there as a replacement for the old "rag in the pipe" method during rough-in?

2. I know that there's much discussion about the flange being installed over the finished tile floor as opposed to tiling up to it. Again, this may be out-of-date thinking, but I've always thought that over is the optimal installation, when possible. Your thoughts on this?

3. If I wanted the metal ring over the finished tile, can just the ring be removed from this fitting and then re-attached, or does the whole thing have to be removed?

TIA.

The knock out is for testing. Previous to that, we glued in a plastic cookie that would be broken out and removed at "trim".
The fittings need to hold ten feet of water column without leaking. Often, we wound up having forty feet of head on our test.

During rough, if the finished flooring isn't there, the flange winds up on the 3/4" plywood, the flooring gets cut around the flange and we wind up using two wax rings at trim. Been doing it that way for ever.

They do make a spacer that can be installed under the flange, and I've used those a few times.
I would not use spacers over the flange. Unless those are goo'ed down with Silicone, you're asking for problems.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks