(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Question about closet flange:

Default Question about closet flange:

A contractor is building a small addition on my house. His plumber has installed an Oatey Easy Tap Flange in the bathroom sub floor. It looks VERY flimsy to me!

Are they standard? will it hold up over time? How much trouble would it be to replace it at this stage?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty nice flange.
    He did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

That's a pretty nice flange.
    He did good.
    LOL. Thanks for the quick reply. So you're saying that it's just as good as what I'm used to seeing, the traditional brass flange? TIA.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen a traditional brass flange being installed since I've been plumbing. 1974
    Those normally went with lead bends, which we are pulling out now and replacing with something like the Oatey above.

LOL again. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm old!

May I ask you just a couple more questions, and I thank you for your patience.

1. Just out of curiosity, is the knockout center piece there as a replacement for the old "rag in the pipe" method during rough-in?

2. I know that there's much discussion about the flange being installed over the finished tile floor as opposed to tiling up to it. Again, this may be out-of-date thinking, but I've always thought that over is the optimal installation, when possible. Your thoughts on this?

3. If I wanted the metal ring over the finished tile, can just the ring be removed from this fitting and then re-attached, or does the whole thing have to be removed?

TIA.

Blog Entries

1. Just out of curiosity, is the knockout center piece there as a replacement for the old "rag in the pipe" method during rough-in?

2. I know that there's much discussion about the flange being installed over the finished tile floor as opposed to tiling up to it. Again, this may be out-of-date thinking, but I've always thought that over is the optimal installation, when possible. Your thoughts on this?

3. If I wanted the metal ring over the finished tile, can just the ring be removed from this fitting and then re-attached, or does the whole thing have to be removed?

TIA.
    The knock out is for testing. Previous to that, we glued in a plastic cookie that would be broken out and removed at "trim".
    The fittings need to hold ten feet of water column without leaking. Often, we wound up having forty feet of head on our test.

During rough, if the finished flooring isn't there, the flange winds up on the 3/4" plywood, the flooring gets cut around the flange and we wind up using two wax rings at trim. Been doing it that way for ever.

They do make a spacer that can be installed under the flange, and I've used those a few times.
    I would not use spacers over the flange. Unless those are goo'ed down with Silicone, you're asking for problems.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.

OK, thank's much for your prompt and professional replies.