(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/4" or 1/2" pex branch line - which is best?

if that setup would work I also have the option and room to build out a short 2x4 wall (to about the level of the long blue line which would be over the 6" required for the overflow of the tub) and lined up with the shower plumbing wall on the right... that way the horizontal tub branch vent would run directly into the vertical vent on the right without any bends or need of blowing any holes into the structural exterior walls

would this work?

Here's another fine sketch for Reach4
    This follows my previous post where I am asking if I can build out a small 2x4 wall on the second floor where the tub and shower are. I think it's self explanatory but please ask questions where needed... and by all means let me know if its ok to forge ahead... or what modifications are required to make it work.
    Name:  plumbing layout 3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  25.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by closer View Post
    Name:  plumbing layout 3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  25.3 KB
    If this one was wrong too can someone please let me know why this time? As I said before I've spoken with several local plumbers, the last one with 45 years experience, including the training apparently of other plumbers and they suggested what I have drawn in several instances would work... but as I also said I always come here to the TL Forum for advice as well. I am capable of doing the work myself as I have successfully done in the past but I like to know I'm doing something that would work and that's where I've always trusted you folks!

Can any of my drawings be adjusted to make them work? ie if the T's after the P's for both the tub and the shower went vertical immediately to the vents would that solve the problem. If so in this case they would be about 24-36" from the P depending on tub or shower. Then as I would have to come back about 5-8" in both cases to the main 2" line in the valance, could I bring the downward section from the T down with a long to that 2" main drain line which would still have it's 2 slope. I would also maintain the 2 slope from the P's to the T's. If the distance between the tub and the vertical vent is a problem I could also go vertical for the first 32" then horizontal for about 30" then vertical again through the outside studs to hook up with the horizontal stack in the attic that I would have coming from the shower.
    Last edited by closer; 12-11-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reach4 is not a plumber. He's a homeowner like you.
    The plumbers that have given advice, well............you didn't like that advice.
    Would an inspector approve of your drawings? Not the inspectors I work with. I would pull a permit for the job. Maybe the local inspector can help you out.

HI Terry... I appreciate your response... but I never said I didn't like any of the advice... I might not have understood some of it not being a plumber myself, but I also said I had approached plumbers with upwards of 45 years experience and was just looking for clarification or a solution. That's why I came here. Going to an inspector without a viable solution would not work here as they require viable solutions that I could put to a drawing. Having contacted local plumbers, having them ok them, and then having experienced plumbers here at TL tell me they were wrong had been very confusing. As in the past, I was simply hoping to get some help!