(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The tub diverter spout will not move!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There may be silicon underneath the fitting (between it and the tile), gluing it in place very tightly. That stuff can make a bond that's over 1,000#/sq in.

Without being there, it seems like that hat shaped fitting is probably threaded onto the pipe stub coming out of the wall. Got a Dremel (or similar tool) with a cutoff wheel? You may be able to carefully slice through part of it in several places parallel with the pipe coming out, then split it off the pipe. If it's brass, even if the pipe is steel, it should unscrew, but the silicon may be just bonding it to the wall, making that nearly impossible.

Sometimes these 'little' jobs just turn out to be a major pain. My last little job ended up taking a lot of thinking, and nearly three days of try this, try that before I finally overwhelmed it. So, don't feel like you're alone...sometimes, it's just a big PITA!
    Last edited by jadnashua; 12-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    There may be silicon underneath the fitting (between it and the tile), gluing it in place very tightly. That stuff can make a bond that's over 1,000#/sq in.
    If there is, it's in the threads of the pipe. I took dental floss and wrapped it around the pipe so I know there's nothing adhering it to the wall.

Without being there, it seems like that hat shaped fitting is probably threaded onto the pipe stub coming out of the wall. Got a Dremel (or similar tool) with a cutoff wheel? You may be able to carefully slice through part of it in several places parallel with the pipe coming out, then split it off the pipe. If it's brass, even if the pipe is steel, it should unscrew, but the silicon may be just bonding it to the wall, making that nearly impossible.

Sometimes these 'little' jobs just turn out to be a major pain. My last little job ended up taking a lot of thinking, and nearly three days of try this, try that before I finally overwhelmed it. So, don't feel like you're alone...sometimes, it's just a big PITA!
    No, you're absolutely right, that's how it's threaded on, you can look through the two holes and see pipe thread. The pipe is indeed steel, I have no idea what the fitting is, it's likely brass but it's so old that it was difficult to cut through with my reciprocating saw, even with a new metal blade.

Once I can get it off, I already have the new parts, I'm going to extend the pipe out and install a new diverter, it's just getting to that point that's the pain in the butt.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying to hack parts off of it until it comes loose, unless someone has better ideas.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always carry a pipe extractor with my tools.
    What you have there is just normal common stuff for a plumber.
    Once I was there, and brought my tool box in, five minutes max.
    I can do it without using muscle, and with. Most of the time the plumbers just grip it harder and get it done.
    When I was forty, I was kicked off a softball team because I hit the ball too hard at the opposing teams second baseman. My team manager thought that grown men shouldn't have to field balls as hard as I was hitting them. Now I'm 61, and I find a really good hit for me just hits the fence. It won't go over anymore. And even though the second basemen back up a ways, they don't complain. They do seem pretty aware though.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

For my own education, does that piece have a male thread into a fitting in the wall, or is it a female that fits over a threaded nipple? Based on Terry's response, it sounds like it's a male piece threaded into the socket (maybe an el?) in the wall.

All of the spouts I've seen (and that's obviously not a huge amount) all either fit on a straight pipe (some like the Delta use a fitting soldered on) or onto a threaded nipple, and thus had a female fitting on the spout itself, so that's something new.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

I always carry a pipe extractor with my tools.
    Tub spouts go onto pipes. Either copper, which this one isn't using, or a pipe nipple.
    A pipe extractor allows the removal of the pipe barely at the wall.

A very standard tub spout that uses a pipe nipple.

I know the pipe extractor will bite. Would a cordless impact with the extractor help to break it free?

Can plumbers grease be applied over/under Teflon tape to keep this from happening?

Crusty old fittings are always a nuisance for us amateurs. Its always a relief when the damage is only to the part being removed on the outside of the wall.
    Last edited by Vegas_sparky; 12-09-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Blog Entries

I use brass nipples so I don't have a corrosion problem with my installs.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Tub spouts go onto pipes. Either copper, which this one isn't using, or a pipe nipple.
    A pipe extractor allows the removal of the pipe barely at the wall.

A very standard tub spout that uses a pipe nipple.
    That's what mine looks (looked) like, but an extractor wouldn't help remove the old diverter because the diverter is over the pipe as you describe. It would help me remove the pipe from the wall but that's not what I'm looking to do. I've drilled out the end of the cover, as I showed in my picture and I even had a fleeting thought of using an extractor but it just doesn't work for my application. To be honest, I don't know that my 18v drill would turn it regardless.

Blog Entries

I've tried to explain what I would do. And you are very close to finishing now.

I hold onto the end of a pipe extractor with a wrench. A drill won't help even a little bit with turning the extrator.
    It's not a job for everyone. And it's not the type of job that is good to do, if you favor your wrist joints.
    You should consider bringing somebody in that can turn that wrench. It's not the type of work I expect everyone to be able to do. It can be that hard.

I use brass nipples so I don't have a corrosion problem with my installs.
    Which would be great, had I installed this in 1928 or whenever it was done, but I didn't so I have to deal with the shortcuts and bad practices that the people who built and/or renovated the house took. Trust me, this thing is going to be better than ever when and if I am ever finished, I just wish I could do more. There just is no access to the plumbing behind the tub and I'm not about to re-tile the whole thing to do it.

I've tried to explain what I would do. And you are very close to finishing now.

I hold onto the end of a pipe extractor with a wrench. A drill won't help even a little bit with turning the extrator.
    It's not a job for everyone. And it's not the type of job that is good to do, if you favor your wrist joints.
    You should consider bringing somebody in that can turn that wrench. It's not the type of work I expect everyone to be able to do. It can be that hard.
    I just checked and the biggest extractor I have on hand is a #6, which isn't big enough. It looks to me like this is 3/4" pipe.

Well, after a ton of hard work, I finally got it off. It literally took me hacking it into little pieces and beating it out with a hammer but finally, I split it down the middle, broke off the remainder of the chrome, then took a pry bar to the brass and it broke away. Thank you for all of your help, now I'm going to put it back together the right way.

Name:  Tub Diverter Removal Final.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  41.4 KB