New Toilet install Toilet flange too low and question on pipe diameter

Users who are viewing this thread

ducktoller

Reaction score
Our house was custom built in 2000 and in our powder room we have hardwood floors and we just had them refinished. I removed the old Kohler
Wellworth toilet which was prone to clogging alot and decided to replace it with a Toto Drake 2. I have already replaced all the the other toilets in the house a few years ago with Toto Drakes and they have been great. Well when I pulled the old toilet I noticed the top of the closet flange is about .25 inches below the finished hardwood. I also notice the old wax ring was either doubled up or one of the extra deep ones with a horn on it. With that horn on it doesn't it also impede the flow due to the reduction of diameter?

I was thinking I should try a flange extender but how thick should it be? Should I bring it up so the top surface is flush with the finished floor or even higher? I have read a few negative things about them need . Are there some better then others? I see some people cement them to the ABS flange with ABS cement and others just silicone them and bolt them together.

Lastly I could actually cut a hole in the garage ceiling and replace the closet flange completely and lengthen the riser but I don't have a pipe cutter that big so I would be buying another tool and fill in the wood underneath raised flange etc then patch the sheet rock but in the garage not a big deal.

Any expert opinions here ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use two wax rings and be done with it.

Unless you cut out the flange and replace it, you could be buying yourself trouble by trying to "raise" the flange with "extenders".
Extenders need to be sealed completley, or your wood floors will take the hit if there is any leakage.
Consider this; there was no leaking with the previous installation. What you had before was an older toilet bowl made before the latest improvements.

ducktoller

Reaction score
Thanks Terry so one other quick question. Should I use one with the horn or just two plain wax rings stacked?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally, those with the horn are to be avoided, but when stacking two, it has some advantages. WHen used singly, the plastic can provide a leak path if there's not enough room (height), or, in some flanges, the horn can be compressed, and actually close up (get pinched). But, when you have extra height, it helps keep the extra wax from the second ring from collapsing into the flange and blocking things. So, stack the one with the horn on top of the single wax ring on the bottom...set the toilet down, smush it into place, then snug up the nuts then add some sealant around the front 3/4 of the toilet. Dry fit the toilet first to ensure it doesn't rock, and if it does, place shims so when you place it down for good, it is solid. The wax won't rebound if it rocks, and you could end up with a gap in the wax if it rocks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...T454CEFG-2-piece-toilet-written-by-Jamie-Love

install_kit.jpg

Install kit for toilets
Notice that the bag of bolts includes four nuts and four washers.

What we use in the Seattle area.
One regular wax ring goes down on the closet flange, a second wax ring with horn is stacked on top of that. Then the bowl gets lowered down onto the wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks