Understanding a Steam Shower Sealed Slip Joint: Photo's, Sketches and Video Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sealed Slip Joint

modern-details.jpg

A steam shower's Sealed Slip Joints is the most vague specification I know of in the steam shower vapour proofing process.

I get the bulk of the install. It's the corners that are tricky.

JW

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
First things first - Blocking requirements for framing needs of a sealed slip joint

I recommend solid blocking at all wall intersections and between all sheets of WonderBoard Lite.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The long runs are fine John - What about the corners?

I like NobleSealant 150 in the corners. Full coverage inside corners out 2-3". Then I switch to clear silicone for the rest. Often I'll add the 150 into the corner before the fold into the gap.

You want the sealed slip joint filled (with flexible silicone) so mortar does not enter and block the forgiveness the work so far has granted the ceiling to wall junction.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Preparing your Durock Shower Walls for a Sealed Slip Joint

Given the choice between Durock and WonderBoard Lite - I would choose wonder board lite every time.

Last edited:

s blyth

Reaction score
Sealed Slip Joint question

John, how much of a gap should you leave with this method between the ceiling and wall??
Obviously installing the ceiling board is the first thing done. Is there also a gap when you install the ceiling board, leaving it away from where the wall is? or just when you install the wall board up to the ceiling board? or is there a gap for both the ceiling board install AND the Wall board? Hope I explained that properly. Thx John
ce21ff860f8c7cc7_0178-w422-h562-b0-p0--modern-bathroom.jpg

Photo: Steam Shower - Source

Building Steam Showers is much tricker than most people think and much more detailed than most installers have ever imagined. One of the most asked questions of me by my online clients on the subject of steam shower construction (other than what the best membrane) is "How the Hell do you build a sealed slip joint?". This is a good question and one that is very hard to explain. When discussing this detail so much confusion over the detail starts to arise. Look at the steam shower above I build a year back. Look at the volume of steam and steam rises. The most heat and steam concentrated at the ceiling.

So how do you make a sealed slip joint? I'm working on a simple approach on my current steam shower project here in Vancouver and thought I would share a few of the photo's and the process here in the hopes of helping out more people.

So first. Lets look at a few photos of a Sealed Slip Joint.

FigBC9.jpg

Photo: Sealed Slip Joint Detail - Source - Page

FigAC9.jpg

Photo: Slip Joint - Source - Page

Now finding out how to make this sealed slip joint will drive you crazy. I love John Bridge's explanation here on this page. He says "I think it's a normal joint where one plane of tile goes behind the other. More TCA jibberish. Sometimes those guys sit around the table and create new words and terms." - now that makes it all clearer doesn't it... lol

I have asked many men about this detail. Even the men at Noble Company who's cross section is my standard and never once has the detail been explained properly to me. The closest I have gotten is the detail is designed to allow a little movement. The fold (not really shown in the two images above) creates slack I think and this helps with the overall design and function of the steam shower. BUT - how the hell do the corners work out.

Lets look at Noble Company's Steam Shower Specification. This is the best diagram online and here it is.

modern-details.jpg

Photo: Noble Company's Steam Shower Specification - Source - Page

Notice the Sealed Slip Joint. Notice the roll in the corner. Notice that the backer boards do not meet nor are they sealed together. All details that make you wonder how to achieve this with out screwing up your shower and making this wall to ceiling point a weak link in your vapour armour.

So - I hope everyone has not falling to sleep because my little detail below is my version of a sealed slip joint.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I like to see about a 1/4" to 3/8" Steve.

home-design.jpg

can you notice the solid blocking on both the wall and ceiling? This is what I like to see. No gaps larger than your fist.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Minneapolis St.Paul Steam Showers:

Here is a great installation picture from a builder who wanted a little extra steam shower design help.

Sealed+slip+joint+steam+shower+tundra+finish+works.JPG

Tundra Finish Works - Minneapolis St.Paul

Looks great. - Of course when design a steam shower material selection is key. This steam shower meets high use requirements and offers up the work crew, designer, builder and home owners the choice of any setting material for the tile.

This is why I refer to NobleSeal TS as the king of the sheet membranes.

Shower+flood+test+Tundra+finish+works.JPG

Here you see the shower under flood test and a stack of coins used for measuring the water level. A true Pro in my eyes. If your building a steam shower these are the steps that need to be taken.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
today i was reading periodicals.......came across this tottally WRONG printed article in finehomebuilding magazine.!!!!!!

so much misminformation out there. Printed in magazines and spouted out by so many times someone whos never built a steam shower.

how many naive' homeowners read and believed this article?

it takes a LOT more detail to build steam showers people.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nice one RSCB. So easy.

And the author forgot about any Vapour Proofing for the walls and ceiling. She forgot to mention the window tie in detail for that project.

I don't slope the ceilings in most of my projects - rather I lower them for easier cleaning.

I do not know of one steam unit that can make a 60' run. ThermaSol does 50'. Most times we place them less than 20' away.

Standard ventilation is OK with a well place fan and a shower transom.

Author was close..... I bet she interviewed the builder and then wrote the story.

I find it funny the mention about the loss of steam from the door gap. This can be huge and cause all sorts of wall sweating issues.

I guess steam showers act different in Canada. Maybe are water is finer.... :) lol

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Good catch RSCB . When '' easy '' is sold out loud , there is nothing more you can do but look them fail .

You would expect with such '' fine '' magazines to get them right -- advices -- ........ but selling an idea proves to be more important . Find hard to digest the use of '' wood protectors '' or wood accessories in such environments and in direct contact with the exposed skin . Do you think the steam shower is considered an extreme heat environment ?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
this magazine article simply misleads people, then more people get mislead just like lemmings.

Someone is an editor at finehomebuilding and approved it for print?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure I would want to put my reputation on the line by using a two piece floor flashing with the Noblesealant 120 between them around the drain fitting.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
very revealing reply there HJ!

clearly you dont like noble products!

what is youre reasoning and specific experience?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
NobleSealant 150 not 120.

And you can tie NobleSeal TS or CIS directly to the clamping drain. I'd bet on either of the two just listed over any other system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks