(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sink trap - making 1 1/4 inch connection 1 1/2 inch

Default Sink trap - making 1 1/4 inch connection 1 1/2 inch

Hi,
    I am trying to replace a bathroon sink trap in the easiest way for me. I am not very knowledgable in plumbing and found this product - http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/resid...ble-qwik-traps . Installed it OK with one problem. The pipes on both sides of the trap are 1 1/4 inch. However the flexable trap looks like one side is made for 1 1/2 inch pipe. When I tighten the clamp on this side it leaks - the leak is very small but it does leak. Is there a way I can convert the very end of the pipe to 1 1/2 inch so the quik trap can slide over it and adhere tightly to it? Thanks.

Francis

If you look at the description, the unit should come sized for 1-1/4, and you can cut off the leading bit to get to the wider part which fits 1-1/2. Maybe you bought a return where somebody had cut off one end already.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    If you look at the description, the unit should come sized for 1-1/4, and you can cut off the leading bit to get to the wider part which fits 1-1/2. Maybe you bought a return where somebody had cut off one end already.
    Good thought but the package was sealed and it looked new. Are you saying BOTH ends of the product are set up for 1 1/4 inch pipe? Because mine definetly is not. Thanks.

I received a reply from the manufacturer (se below) that this product connects to the sink by
    1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch connection but the outflow is for 1 1/2 inch pipe. THey recommended an adapter to make it work.

"The FT-150 is made to connect 1 or 1 sink drain to 1 drain pipe. Your only option would be to use a 1056-150/125 coupling to put in a stub of 1 pipe to connect it to."

quote; THey recommended an adapter to make it work.

You are already using a "piece of c***/ garbage", so why would you want to compound the "fix" by adding additional questionable components to make it "work"?
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just pick up a real 1-1/4" p-trap and the proper slip joint nut and washer at the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just pick up a real 1-1/4" p-trap and the proper slip joint nut and washer at the wall.
    I planned to do what you suggested but was unable to proceed. The nut where the trap pipe enters the wall was broken. I can't put the nut on unless I somehow remove the pipe going into the wall to slip it on. This is how I came to use the "cheap" solution as it was the only way. I'd much rather have a chrome p-trap.

Francis

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Unclear exactly what your situation is, but if there's a broken off piece of pipe in the wall fitting, it can be removed, then a new trap can be installed fairly easily. Maybe a picture of what's there now would help clarify and offer a better solution.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Unclear exactly what your situation is, but if there's a broken off piece of pipe in the wall fitting, it can be removed, then a new trap can be installed fairly easily. Maybe a picture of what's there now would help clarify and offer a better solution.
    Pictures added. No broken piece of pipe. The nut was broken on the far side of the p-trap. In order to install a metal p-trap I need to slide the nut on the far side of the pipe that goes into the wall. The pipe is attatched to the wall. I have no way to slide the nut on. The nus had to be put on on the side of the pipe where the escutcheon is. That is my problem. I'd much rather have a metal p-trap that the one I'm using. Thanks.

Francis
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Pictures added. No broken piece of pipe. The nut was broken on the far side of the p-trap. In order to install a metal p-trap I need to slide the nut on the far side of the pipe that goes into the wall. The pipe is attatched to the wall. I have no way to slide the nut on. The nus had to be put on on the side of the pipe where the escutcheon is. That is my problem. I'd much rather have a metal p-trap that the one I'm using. Thanks.

Name:  072.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  074.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  58.5 KB

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Still can't see how that piece that goes into the wall is attached...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014