No grout gap

Users who are viewing this thread

SH140

Reaction score
After thinset dried on 2x2 porcelain floor tile, I noticed 3 tiles had little to no gap for grout. Does anyone know of any inexpensive tools (this will probably be a one time use for this tool) that will work for widening the gap. Something I can use with my drill would be best as the gaps in question are perpendicular abutting the shower curb.

Appreciate any advice

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Grout removal Tool

The best tool for delicate work is a straight razor blade. Make sure you understand that the box cutter is the most dangerous tool on any job site before tackling the job yourself.

A box cutter like this will make short work of fresh thin-set.

olfa%20L1%20rachet%20lock%20knife.jpg

Photo: Box Cutter - Image Source - Page

Getting the sides of tile clean is important before a grouting job. Ideally the sides are all clean and free of thin-set. Ideally you have at least the depth of room for grout as you do the width of the grout joint.

For a 3/8" tile set with a 1/8" grout joint I would like to see personally a good 1/4" of depth.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Cleaning the grout joints with a box cutter and rag

I took these pictures a week or so back. I'm preparing the grout joints 1/8" wide and 3/8" deep for an Epoxy Grout from Laticrete called Spectra Lock Pro. To make sure the grouts are free from thin-set, dust and drywall compound I double checked them all.

I find it takes almost twice as long to prepare for grouting as it does take to grout.

Once free of material I use a wet rag wrapped around the blade so I can get pressure sideways.

You don't want lots of water. The grout joint needs to be clean but not wet before grouting.

It's best to make sure you skip grouting that day if you saturate the grout joints with water.

Here are the pictures. Hope this helps. Remeber that the box cutter is a dangerous tool. Press to hard and little segments of this type of blade go flying. Press to deep and you can cut heating wires or waterproofing membranes!!!

Careful.

Ready for grout.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sorry I showed here cleaning a grout joint not cutting a tile to make it bigger.

HArd to tell if it is possible. I use a little diamond grinder bit on my Fein Tool.

img_8536.jpg

fein_mm_top_plus.jpg

This is one of the most versitile tools. In a tight space I think I would just pop out the old tile if possible and re set....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks