How to use a "LoudMouth - Screamer" while installing floor heat: Cable or Mat

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A few days back I installed a cable system from NuHeat and prior to any installation I first tested the wire for defects. The simplest approach to these installations is to hook up the heating wires or mat to a LoudMouth Screamer. This handy little device will go crazy if the wire is damaged or a connection comes loose during installation.

Here is a close up look at the screamer by LoudMouth

Photo: LoudMouth Screamer

To use this Screamer you need to first connect it up right. Notice I have twisted the braided ground wire into the far left hook up point and placed one red and one black lead into the other two holes. I used a small flat head screwdriver to button down the screw holds. If there is multiple mats you need to ensure you hook these into the screamer properly. Instructions for this are located here:

To test the LoudMouth just push the test button.

A couple years back I hooked up this screamer to two mats and did it like this. My gut told me it was not right and a quick peak at the instructions had me re-set and off and running.

Photo: Illustrating Improper Installation of Double Mats - Proper Installation for Multiple Mats

Notice how I still get a green light....

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Using a screamer in the Twin Cities

Nice. I'll have to remember that.

Here is another view of the LoudMouth Screamer hooked up to a NuHeat 110 floor heating system. The wire and sensor both checked prior to me installing the Screamer.

If you can see the sticker on the wire lead inside the electrical box - this sticker needs to be left on and inside the junction box. The sticker shows the inspector what type of system it is, how much power it needs and if there are issues down the road the reading numbers will be needed. Never let someone cut these wires back.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you hook to mats into the "screamer" at the same time, it will only work if ALL the mats are damaged. You would have to connect them together in series and connect only the final to ends to be alerted if any one mat was damaged, and then you would have to test each one individually to find the bad one.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
If you hook to mats into the "screamer" at the same time, it will only work if ALL the mats are damaged. You would have to connect them together in series and connect only the final to ends to be alerted if any one mat was damaged, and then you would have to test each one individually to find the bad one.

Thanks HJ

It did not look right when I hooked it up. Lucking I could look up the specs online. The picture above is the latest barrier free steam shower I'm trying to have prepped before Christmas. Total floor heat - including the shower.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks