No Cold Water

Users who are viewing this thread

nymizuno

Reaction score
I have an older home that has had several additions made to it over the years. The bathroom in our newest addition (about 8 years old) suddenly stopped getting cold water. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? Initially, I thought one of my kids had just been playing with the valves, but that's not it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There might be a cross flow in the shower valve if it is a single handle type.

Do you have a recirculation pump in the hot water line?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some single handle valves when worn can allow a cross-over. Try turning the hot supply off to each one at a time to try to isolate it, or feel both of the supply lines and see which one is hot. With the valve turned off, eventually you'll find one that restores cold.

Another possibility is if you have a hot water recirculation system, the check valve (or some have a cross-over valve as part of them) may be defective.

If you have a shutoff valve for your shower head, and leave the main valve on, this provides a cross-over.

nymizuno

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, it at least give me a direction to look into.

We do not have a hot water recirculation system, but there is a single handle valve in the shower. Would this also affect the commode?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical commode does not use hot water, but if there's a cross-over, it could be getting it. If you don't have a/c, or you have very cold water, sometimes they'll put a tempering valve on the toilet to give it warm water to prevent condensation, but no, a toilet normally does not have hot water going to it.

Yes, some single-handle shower valves can have a cross-over. What brand is it and what model? That may help one of the pros tell you if it is a likely candidate for this problem.

nymizuno

Reaction score
Thanks again for your suggestions!

I was asking if the cross-over could affect the cold water getting to the commode. There is NO water when flushed.

It is an American Standard, not sure the model.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Ok. So you are saying no cold water at all to the bathroom. The responses above were based on thinking you were getting warm/hot water out of the cold taps.

Is it just the toilet with the problem or is the sink/shower/tub involved too?

Let us know more details and we can probably figure it out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an older home that has had several additions made to it over the years. The bathroom in our newest addition (about 8 years old) suddenly stopped getting cold water. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? Initially, I thought one of my kids had just been playing with the valves, but that's not it.

You are saying that there is no water when you turn on just the cold. Closed valve, or blocked pipe. Try the faucets closest to the hot water heater. Try the outdoor faucets. At some point you will find that pipes connected before some point have water, and the ones after do not.

While troubleshooting the cold water path, flush the toilets by dumping a bucket or plastic waste container of hot water into the toilet bowel from a little height.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"stopped getting cold water" could mean there is NO water flowing from the cold faucets, OR that the is flowing but it is not cold. These are two different problems so you have to specify which it is.

nymizuno

Reaction score
There is no cold water at all. The commode won't flush and the sink nothing flows. No place else in the house is affected. Only the bathroom in the addition. Thanks again for all your help!

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If it was just one fixture, I would say check to see if you had these hoses:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...loodsafe-Not-Very!-part-1&highlight=floodstop

These can sometimes shut the water off because they think there was a break. You may still check that to be sure, but since the problem is with multiple fixtures, it is less likely.

If all shut off valves are open, then then the most likely cause would be that there is a shut off valve that supplies that addition and that valve was shut off.

Is there also a tub/shower? If so, does it work correctly?

nymizuno

Reaction score
No, there are no floodsafe connectors. My teenage son was "playing around" with the fixtures and by some sequence of turning the knobs of both the shower and sink, got the toilet to fill with hot water. I'm baffled. Keep trying to do more research to see if I can figure it out and save a little money, but I'm thinking I just need to call someone.

Kcodyjr

Reaction score
He undoubtedly created a crossover between the hot and cold piping systems.

Hm. If you can block the cold water to the whole house *except* the water heater, so there's pressure only in the hot line, you might be able to create a backflow to dislodge any possible blockage. Just set it up like he did, then instead of flushing the toilet, open the cold line to the kitchen sink. Just to rule out the possibility; I've no idea how a blockage might have gotten in there.

Are you *positive* there isn't a valve feeding that whole addition that perhaps one of the younger two-legged critters played with?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks