(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a proximity sensor, some lighting and video

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    The install kits for DSL normally included I think 4 filters (one of which had an extra jack in parallel with the input that could be used to feed the modem)...filters in their junk box...
    I have quite an accumulation of filters, and I had forgotten about the one with the extra jack for the modem even though I am likely using it at the moment! I will likely try that one as a "whole house" filter and then get a real one if it does not do well. We only have three phones to connect along with the security panel, but one is two-line wireless with an answering machine and the other is a two-line hard-wire system with an extension phone that can somehow access two lines while only being connected to the primary (red & green) pair. So overall, I like the idea of using just one filter so everything downstream can do whatever it does without having to be concerned about the modem signal.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 12-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    The Swann DVR4-Net recorder is a nice PCI card and has alarm inputs. To bad they stopped making them.

They are a lot better / faster than the new USB stuff. The server software is nice for remote viewing.
    The DVR4-Net I purchased is a self-contained unit with a hard drive, but I did see one of those PCI cards on FleaBad. I have no need to review anything remotely, and I bought this particular unit so nothing would be dependent upon a separate computer. In fact, I think it originally came with its own mouse in the box!
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    The DVR4-Net I purchased is a self-contained unit with a hard drive, but I did see one of those PCI cards on FleaBad. I have no need to review anything remotely, and I bought this particular unit so nothing would be dependent upon a separate computer. In fact, I think it originally came with its own mouse in the box!

Never used the one with the hard drive built in. Is it EIDE or PATA ? You could Yank a drive from a old TiVo.

The nice thing about the Video Server is that it can upload to the internet. And send your cellphone pictures.

If someone takes or disables your security system components (First thing robbers go for) you have the video on the www.

Have Fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Never used the one with the hard drive built in. Is it EIDE or PATA ? You could Yank a drive from a old TiVo.

The nice thing about the Video Server is that it can upload to the internet. And send your cellphone pictures.

If someone takes or disables your security system components (First thing robbers go for) you have the video on the www.

Have Fun.
    Hi Don, I have an older Swann DVR 8, and I have replaced the hard drive once or twice. It uses an PATA drive with perpendicular technology, designed specifically for (continuous) audio/video recording. It can be replaced with a plain old PATA drive, I guess, but it will be less robust. Last time I needed to replace the drive again, I decided to buy a brand new DVR system which has a 2TB SATA drive, much easier nowadays to find.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

I read something somewhere saying it could use either PATA or SATA, but the tray that came with this one is PATA on the inside at the back of the drive and then has a different connector of whatever kind at the business end of the tray. I have a stack of used 7200rpm PATAs, so I grabbed a WD-80GB for now...but I might later pull that drive back out and use one of the smaller ones I know I will never use anywhere else after finding out how much of the drive actually gets used for a few hours of recording.

The video-out on the back of this recorder is the same as a camera connecter, so now I need some kind of converter to get the output into a regular monitor. Also, I called AT&T and asked about an ADSL/POTS splitter for my NIC where the phone line comes to the house, and the enthusiastic young man on the phone says he is sending one without charge. I find it difficult to believe AT&T sends out the stuff their tecnicians install inside the NIC, but we will see what arrives in a couple of days!
    Last edited by leejosepho; 12-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I read something somewhere saying it could use either PATA or SATA, but the tray that came with this one is PATA on the inside at the back of the drive and then has a different connector of whatever kind at the business end of the tray. I have a stack of used 7200rpm PATAs, so I grabbed a WD-80GB for now...but I might later pull that drive back out and use one of the smaller ones I know I will never use anywhere else after finding out how much of the drive actually gets used for a few hours of recording.

The video-out on the back of this recorder is the same as a camera connecter, so now I need some kind of converter to get the output into a regular monitor. Also, I called AT&T and asked about an ADSL/POTS splitter for my NIC where the phone line comes to the house, and the enthusiastic young man on the phone says he is sending one without charge. I find it difficult to believe AT&T sends out the stuff their tecnicians install inside the NIC, but we will see what arrives in a couple of days!
    Lee, 50 GB is kind of small, but if only one camera is feeding it, and you have the DVR set for recording by motion detection, it should be enough. My 8 Channel Swann DVR came with a 500GB drive originally, if I remember correctly.

I found this in the documentation for the Swann RedAlert system:
    A 2GB SD card will record over 3,500 ten second videos, or more than 60,000 still images.
    35,000 seconds (3,500 x 10) = 9.72 hours, so the math suggests a drive as small as 10GB could handle four cameras overnight where an 80GB drive should be able to store almost four days of continuous video from the same cameras. I have yet to get into the DVR4-Net's resolution options that would likely affect that, of course, but yes, I do plan to use a motion sensor so the system will only record when necessary.

The off the China Boat cmos camera pickups are a lot alike with different lenses for the Field of view that you want.

It takes a bunch of IR leds to really work, and the cameras with just a few leds are a joke over 5-10 feet or so.
    I gave one of the Swann cameras a try early this morning and it did fairly well. It has only 12 IR LEDs, but but it looks like it will do just fine in my carport. However, I now have to wait for some BNC-to-RCA adapters to arrive before I can connect anything to the DVR4-Net recorder.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 12-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.

I found this in the documentation for the Swann RedAlert system:

35,000 seconds (3,500 x 10) = 9.72 hours, so the math suggests a drive as small as 10GB could handle four cameras overnight where an 80GB drive should be able to store almost four days of continuous video from the same cameras. I have yet to get into the DVR4-Net's resolution options that would likely affect that, of course, but yes, I do plan to use a motion sensor so the system will only record when necessary.

I gave one of the Swann cameras a try early this morning and it did fairly well. It has only 12 IR LEDs, but but it looks like it will do just fine in my carport. However, I now have to wait for some BNC-to-RCA adapters to arrive before I can connect anything to the DVR4-Net recorder.
    I guess I am spoiled with the 1 and 2 TB hard drives I have in my DVR's at various locations set for continuous recording with alarm markers that show markers when something moves in a selected areas of the screen. I guess that's why my hard drives have worn out, but they did last for quite a time before they did.

Attached is a snapshot of a night shot using a Lorex 24LED camera on one of my installs at about 2AM, and the gate in the distance is about 30 feet away from the camera. White vinyl fencing and siding helps, but the grass is green and any person in that area would be seen and "identifiable".
    If you are using video recording triggered only by motion, your hard drive should be fine. I have 8 Swann cameras in use for the past 5 years with no problems with them until one seems to have failed the other day. I have had 2 Lorex cameras fail within 5 months of purchase (on warranty).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I called AT&T and asked about an ADSL/POTS splitter for my NIC...
    Next-day air from Dallas to just east of Shreveport brought a 2-dollar, two-phones-to-one-jack, Y-adapter to my door just before dark today. Tomorrow I will likely call AT&T again to see what else they might have available.

The WD800 Caviar HD is junk. I hope that is not what you have to use. If so put it on a UPS, or they can crash on power loss.

The Swann should have a option to set resolution, and make file storage minimal.

For a NTSC signal 640 X 480 is fine, because NTSC is less than that.

You can still buy RF modulators for use with your TV, But most monitors should accept a NTSC input. A BNC to RCA or S-Video should work. S-Video adapter connects chroma and luminance together.

I like your basement Bob. That is very cool to have indoors.
    Last edited by DonL; 12-12-2013 at 06:03 AM.

The WD800 Caviar HD is junk. I hope that is not what you have to use. If so put it on a UPS, or they can crash on power loss.

The Swann should have a option to set resolution, and make file storage minimal.

For a NTSC signal 640 X 480 is fine, because NTSC is less than that.

You can still buy RF modulators for use with your TV, But most monitors should accept a NTSC input. A BNC to RCA or S-Video should work. S-Video adapter connects chroma and luminance together.

I like your basement Bob. That is very cool to have indoors.
    Yes it is very cool right now outside too. you are too funny Don, but very cool. That view and its label is of the basement window of a friends house.

The IR works good on some of the cameras, but the power requirements kill the use of a long wire run. And you need a good power supply.

I build regulated battery backup systems (13.8V) for Security systems. No need for a 120V UPS.

My backup systems work good for routers also.

I like my stuff to work, even if the wires have been cut.

Have Fun.

The IR works good on some of the cameras, but the power requirements kill the use of a long wire run. And you need a good power supply.

I build regulated battery backup systems (13.8V) for Security systems. No need for a 120V UPS.

My backup systems work good for routers also.

I like my stuff to work, even if the wires have been cut.

Have Fun.
    are you a spammer now Don?

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post

I guess I forgot the Hidden Link. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post

You should give me a break Bob.

I give AARP discounts.