(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Please recommend a proximity sensor, some lighting and video

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    200 miles south of Little Rock
    Posts
    2,474

    Default Please recommend a proximity sensor, some lighting and video

    I recently had a theft from my carport, and I want to add some lights and surveillance since I have no way to lock-and-key everything as a police officer has suggested. So, I need a simple security sensor that can toggle some lights (needed also), a few minutes of video (also needed) and maybe even some audio letting an intruder know s/he is being taped.

    Any suggestions? The sensor, lights and camera can all be mounted at the carport ceiling without being visible from the street, and I will need a switch that can disable everything from inside the house as well as a momentary button to trigger a delay whenever we go out.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 11-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    I recently had a theft from my carport, and I want to add some lights and surveillance since I have no way to lock-and-key everything as a police officer has suggested. So, I need a simple security sensor that can toggle some lights (needed also), a few minutes of video (also needed) and maybe even some audio letting an intruder know s/he is being taped.

    Any suggestions? The sensor, lights and camera can all be mounted at the carport ceiling without being visible from the street, and I will need a switch that can disable everything from inside the house as well as a momentary button to trigger a delay whenever we go out.
    Lee, years ago, I used to use some X10 stuff, like their outdoors Infrared motion detectors that will transmit a radio signal, and an indoor thing they called a VCR Commander, which was triggered by that signal and gave out infra red signals like the normal remote to start the VCR recording, which would have a video camera connected to it. It worked great. I still have, but no longer use those items. The X10 radio signal motion detector signal could also be used to do whatever you need, by switching on lights, appliances, whatever. They may still sell that stuff, but there is much newer, higher tech stuff available now, but for mucho money. You can find the X10 stuff on E*B*y* .Check it out. I still use some of the X10 lighting controls for automatic controls.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  3. #3
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,662

    Default

    I guess I missed this post, Until Bob got it up.

    I think the X10 wireless sensors work fine, But the batteries are subject to freeze.

    If you can run a wire to your house then Network IP may be the way to go. Network it for email alert.


    I have cameras that work in the dark, so extra lighting is not required.


    I like Silent alarms they give me time to grab the Shotgun.


    Racking a 12 Ga. Pump gets their attention.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I guess I missed this post, Until Bob got it up.

    I think the X10 wireless sensors work fine, But the batteries are subject to freeze.

    If you can run a wire to your house then Network IP may be the way to go. Network it for email alert.


    I have cameras that work in the dark, so extra lighting is not required.


    I like Silent alarms they give me time to grab the Shotgun.


    Racking a 12 Ga. Pump gets their attention.
    I like the shotgun idea too Don.

    I see the X10 stuff is still available brand new from Home Automation products. The stuff is really cheap to buy and easy to set up, and you don't have to be a network engineer to set it up. If you are good at networking then you don't need this X10 stuff. http://www.thehomeautomationstore.co...FRBnOgodb2IAGA .
    My batteries wore out when I used those motion detectors after several months or so, but they worked all Winter long on Long Island, NY for me years ago. Colder here than what I see for Little Rock:
    http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...s/little-rock/ .

    http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...(jfk-airport)/

    Or you can just set up a trip wire to fire the shotgun, like the Swamp people do.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  5. #5
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Or you can just set up a trip wire to fire the shotgun, like the Swamp people do.

    I do not recommend that Setup but it can be very effective, It should be used for experimental use only.


    Booby traps can only be used if you get a Permit, and Pay your Fees.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I do not recommend that Setup but it can be very effective, It should be used for experimental use only.


    Booby traps can only be used if you get a Permit, and Pay your Fees.
    Booby traps is what that lady in my post under couponing has. Dangerous. I hope she has a permit for them beauties, and they are to code.
    Last edited by BobL43; 12-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Similar Threads

  1. Proximity of Return Air Grill to Damper
    By kailor in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
  2. Proximity of washer & dryer outlets to washer valves & tub?
    By Plumbob in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 01:44 AM
  3. Water Sensor
    By vman in forum Water Heater Forum, Tanks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
  4. electrical supply proximity to propane line?
    By HockeyFan in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM
  5. Basement framing proximity to floor drain
    By blaronn in forum Remodel Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 06:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •