(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Please recommend a proximity sensor, some lighting and video

Hybrid View

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Default Please recommend a proximity sensor, some lighting and video

I recently had a theft from my carport, and I want to add some lights and surveillance since I have no way to lock-and-key everything as a police officer has suggested. So, I need a simple security sensor that can toggle some lights (needed also), a few minutes of video (also needed) and maybe even some audio letting an intruder know s/he is being taped.

Any suggestions? The sensor, lights and camera can all be mounted at the carport ceiling without being visible from the street, and I will need a switch that can disable everything from inside the house as well as a momentary button to trigger a delay whenever we go out.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 11-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    I recently had a theft from my carport, and I want to add some lights and surveillance since I have no way to lock-and-key everything as a police officer has suggested. So, I need a simple security sensor that can toggle some lights (needed also), a few minutes of video (also needed) and maybe even some audio letting an intruder know s/he is being taped.

Any suggestions? The sensor, lights and camera can all be mounted at the carport ceiling without being visible from the street, and I will need a switch that can disable everything from inside the house as well as a momentary button to trigger a delay whenever we go out.
    Lee, years ago, I used to use some X10 stuff, like their outdoors Infrared motion detectors that will transmit a radio signal, and an indoor thing they called a VCR Commander, which was triggered by that signal and gave out infra red signals like the normal remote to start the VCR recording, which would have a video camera connected to it. It worked great. I still have, but no longer use those items. The X10 radio signal motion detector signal could also be used to do whatever you need, by switching on lights, appliances, whatever. They may still sell that stuff, but there is much newer, higher tech stuff available now, but for mucho money. You can find the X10 stuff on E*B*y* .Check it out. I still use some of the X10 lighting controls for automatic controls.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

I guess I missed this post, Until Bob got it up.

I think the X10 wireless sensors work fine, But the batteries are subject to freeze.

If you can run a wire to your house then Network IP may be the way to go. Network it for email alert.

I have cameras that work in the dark, so extra lighting is not required.

I like Silent alarms they give me time to grab the Shotgun.

Racking a 12 Ga. Pump gets their attention.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I guess I missed this post, Until Bob got it up.

I think the X10 wireless sensors work fine, But the batteries are subject to freeze.

If you can run a wire to your house then Network IP may be the way to go. Network it for email alert.

I have cameras that work in the dark, so extra lighting is not required.

I like Silent alarms they give me time to grab the Shotgun.

Racking a 12 Ga. Pump gets their attention.
    I like the shotgun idea too Don.

I see the X10 stuff is still available brand new from Home Automation products. The stuff is really cheap to buy and easy to set up, and you don't have to be a network engineer to set it up. If you are good at networking then you don't need this X10 stuff. http://www.thehomeautomationstore.co...FRBnOgodb2IAGA .
    My batteries wore out when I used those motion detectors after several months or so, but they worked all Winter long on Long Island, NY for me years ago. Colder here than what I see for Little Rock:
    http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...s/little-rock/ .

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...(jfk-airport)/

Or you can just set up a trip wire to fire the shotgun, like the Swamp people do.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Or you can just set up a trip wire to fire the shotgun, like the Swamp people do.

I do not recommend that Setup but it can be very effective, It should be used for experimental use only.

Booby traps can only be used if you get a Permit, and Pay your Fees.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I do not recommend that Setup but it can be very effective, It should be used for experimental use only.

Booby traps can only be used if you get a Permit, and Pay your Fees.
    Booby traps is what that lady in my post under couponing has. Dangerous. I hope she has a permit for them beauties, and they are to code.
    Last edited by BobL43; 12-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.