Concrete fill splashed onto new acrylic tub! How to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

LynnRowe

Reaction score
My tiler did a superb job tiling my bathroom today. He also used concrete fill to level the floor to prep for the tiling tomorrow.

I noticed tonight when I went to check the tiling that there were light splashes of the fill on the side of my new acrylic bath tub...please tell me this will just wash off!

If not, I guess my GC will be a rather unhappy man when he has to get his trades to rip out the new tile, rip out the new bath tub, and replace it all.

I won't be very happy, myself.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Lynn most times these splashes are pourly bonded to the substrate or tub in this case.

I would get a sponge and soak it.

Then prop it up against the spill and leave it there for a good 30-60 minutes. Then try and remove the fill with a scraper. I use an old 2" wall scraper with a super flat edge. You can use a stick. A straight razor. Anything.

The key here is to not scratch the tub with the tool. Often a stick is the safest and with just a little pressure (after the soak) the cement should pop off.

Good luck. with no effort wiped the drywall compound off the glass.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a hidden area you could test? All cement is dissolved by acids...vinegar will do it. But, you don't want the vinegar to etch your new tub...it probably won't but is it safer to test it in a hidden spot. Depending on how cured the cement is, more water won't do much. If it is quite new, it may, but if vinegar won't etch your tub, it will eat the concrete even if it is years old. Careful when you wash it off, the sand in the mix will NOT dissolve in the same way the calcium based cement will, and you don't want to scratch things with the sand that will be left if you rub it.

LynnRowe

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did the soaked sponge trick and it worked! However...OMG you wanna talk about the WORST tile job EVER??! I am beyond words...! He cut several of my beautiful 3x6" marble tiles to force-fit into a herringbone pattern, and did so with some kind of hand saw, which left crooked jagged edges, rounded (relatively speaking) corners, sheared surfaces...the tile level is uneven, I can tell by sight; the grout lines are unbelievably uneven, as is the grout depth.

Called my GC and told him it all has to be taken out and redone properly. I just sent him photos, and they are far from pretty. :(

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did the soaked sponge trick and it worked! However...OMG you wanna talk about the WORST tile job EVER??! I am beyond words...! He cut several of my beautiful 3x6" marble tiles to force-fit into a herringbone pattern, and did so with some kind of hand saw, which left crooked jagged edges, rounded (relatively speaking) corners, sheared surfaces...the tile level is uneven, I can tell by sight; the grout lines are unbelievably uneven, as is the grout depth.

Called my GC and told him it all has to be taken out and redone properly. I just sent him photos, and they are far from pretty. :(

Ooouch.

Did you outline your expectations prior to the tile being installed?

Did you ask for and sign off on a tile mock sample board?

These two things are so important right from the very beginning of every renovation...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks