(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Concrete fill splashed onto new acrylic tub! How to remove?

Default Concrete fill splashed onto new acrylic tub! How to remove?

My tiler did a superb job tiling my bathroom today. He also used concrete fill to level the floor to prep for the tiling tomorrow.

I noticed tonight when I went to check the tiling that there were light splashes of the fill on the side of my new acrylic bath tub...please tell me this will just wash off!

If not, I guess my GC will be a rather unhappy man when he has to get his trades to rip out the new tile, rip out the new bath tub, and replace it all.

I won't be very happy, myself.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lynn most times these splashes are pourly bonded to the substrate or tub in this case.

I would get a sponge and soak it.

Then prop it up against the spill and leave it there for a good 30-60 minutes. Then try and remove the fill with a scraper. I use an old 2" wall scraper with a super flat edge. You can use a stick. A straight razor. Anything.

The key here is to not scratch the tub with the tool. Often a stick is the safest and with just a little pressure (after the soak) the cement should pop off.

Good luck.

Same principle used here in the last two pictures. A blob of drywall compound I dropped by mistake in picture one on the frameless glass while doing drywall touch ups. I left the rag there for a good two hours and then with no effort wipped the drywall compound off the glass.

JW
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 12-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Is there a hidden area you could test? All cement is dissolved by acids...vinegar will do it. But, you don't want the vinegar to etch your new tub...it probably won't but is it safer to test it in a hidden spot. Depending on how cured the cement is, more water won't do much. If it is quite new, it may, but if vinegar won't etch your tub, it will eat the concrete even if it is years old. Careful when you wash it off, the sand in the mix will NOT dissolve in the same way the calcium based cement will, and you don't want to scratch things with the sand that will be left if you rub it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

+1 for using vinegar.

Thanks guys, I did the soaked sponge trick and it worked! However...OMG you wanna talk about the WORST tile job EVER??! I am beyond words...! He cut several of my beautiful 3x6" marble tiles to force-fit into a herringbone pattern, and did so with some kind of hand saw, which left crooked jagged edges, rounded (relatively speaking) corners, sheared surfaces...the tile level is uneven, I can tell by sight; the grout lines are unbelievably uneven, as is the grout depth.

Called my GC and told him it all has to be taken out and redone properly. I just sent him photos, and they are far from pretty.
    Last edited by LynnRowe; 11-30-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Speeling!

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LynnRowe View Post
    Thanks guys, I did the soaked sponge trick and it worked! However...OMG you wanna talk about the WORST tile job EVER??! I am beyond words...! He cut several of my beautiful 3x6" marble tiles to force-fit into a herringbone pattern, and did so with some kind of hand saw, which left crooked jagged edges, rounded (relatively speaking) corners, sheared surfaces...the tile level is uneven, I can tell by sight; the grout lines are unbelievably uneven, as is the grout depth.

Called my GC and told him it all has to be taken out and redone properly. I just sent him photos, and they are far from pretty.
    Ooouch.

Did you outline your expectations prior to the tile being installed?

Did you ask for and sign off on a tile mock sample board?

These two things are so important right from the very beginning of every renovation...

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.