Half bathroom layout change

Users who are viewing this thread

mspears

Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-doing my half bathroom and laundry room. My currently layout is toilet and sink on one wall and washer /dryer and water heater on the opposite wall. Currently, I have three quotes for moving the washer/dryer and water heater to the other side of the same wall and installing a bathtub in it place. There is 2" drain line that runs under the wall behind the washer.

After, receiving bids, I wants to makes a few changes to my layout, and wonder how big of changes will this involves and how would it effect my cost (i.e would it add 10% or 20%). What would need to be done to vent this sink or will the water heater (electric) need to be tied into the drain line. I really do not, want to re-bid this job on something I might not do

I will be handing all cutting the concrete and repairs,. The plumber will be only run drain lines. My changes includes adding a sink to the bar and moving the water heater over 3 feet. I'll appreciate and help or advice. Thanks you.

Attachments

• new final2.jpg
    new final2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The washer and dryer change should be a "no brainer", but moving the water heater, since there are doorways involved, could be a different matter and without seeing it cannot give you an answer. The water heater is NEVER tied into the drain lines. Adding that sink can be simple or complex, depending on your local plumbing codes and inspectors.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, you need to know what you exactly want to do. After you have approved plans, making changes is a costly mistake.

Go back to square one and determine what plan you want to use.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moving the water heater across the hallway means you don't have a good way of draining the T&P valve.
When it was on the other side, you could have drained it outside. Now it's trapped in the middle of the rooms. That is my first concern, and perhaps that is why you were wondering about a drain for it.

The island sink will need Island Venting, or an AAV is your inspector allows it. The AAV would be legal in Washington.
Regardless, I would run a 2" waste line over for it.

mspears

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to figure out where to cut the floor for the new drains. Here is what the plumber suggested. Located the shower drain, and work back to the main 3" Line. What concerns me the most, is that he suggested that I should install a pump for the sink and tie into the floor above and used a studor valve.

Could some one help me, as the where the concrete should be cut to tie . Should I tie in before the washer or after the washer on 2" line. Here is how the washer in tied into the main line. I would have to add a new vent for washer and shower. Thanks

Attachments

• laundry layout3.png
    laundry layout3.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks