Baseboard Pipe Abrasion & Corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

BobN

Reaction score
I am not a plumber so please forgive me if this is a naive question. I have an oil burner firing a hot water home heating system (tankless drinking water and baseboard heat). The baseboard convectors are Slant Fin with copper pipes. The system was installed in 1985.

The baseboard pipes rest on steel brackets inside the baseboard. At the point where one copper pipe rests, a pinhole developed, exactly at the point of contact. Expansion/contraction must have caused abrasion at that point. That point is a corner, so perhaps it saw the most expansion and vibration. The pinhole might have been accelerated by intermetalic reaction between the steel bracket and copper pipe. I'm concerned now, because there are dozens of other locations in the house with copper on steel brackets. Perhaps each is a time bomb.

Q: Should the pipe be separated from the bracket by a plastic or rubber block, to allow some motion without abrasion and also to separate dissimilar metals? If so, is there a commercial spacer made for 3/4" pipe and high temperature that I should get and slip over the pipes? Or is this just bad luck?

Yes, my well water is acidic. That can't help. But I do have an acid neutralizer (calcite) and the treated water tests pH 7.2.

This may be unimportant, but the pinhole burst just after a plumber left. He just finished replacing the circulator pump. I wonder if he raised system pressure. I think it was 15 PSI, but can't be sure. Right now (after I fixed the leak) it reads 18 PSI. Is that too high? The safety relief is 30 PSI and is not venting.

Thank you for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the house, 18psi may be a little high (depends on how many stories), but as long as it doesn't creep up, it is probably okay; you could drop it to 15 by letting a (very) small amount out). The pipes will expand and contract in both diameter and along their length with changes in temperature as things cycle. Going around a corner may have been the issue, as it may have been constrained, bowed slightly, and therefore pushed itself against the support. Under normal circumstances, it usually isn't an issue, but see what the pros have to say based on their greater experience.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a plumber so please forgive me if this is a naive question. I have an oil burner firing a hot water home heating system (tankless drinking water and baseboard heat). The baseboard convectors are Slant Fin with copper pipes. The system was installed in 1985.

The baseboard pipes rest on steel brackets inside the baseboard. At the point where one copper pipe rests, a pinhole developed, exactly at the point of contact. Expansion/contraction must have caused abrasion at that point. That point is a corner, so perhaps it saw the most expansion and vibration. The pinhole might have been accelerated by intermetalic reaction between the steel bracket and copper pipe. I'm concerned now, because there are dozens of other locations in the house with copper on steel brackets. Perhaps each is a time bomb.

Q: Should the pipe be separated from the bracket by a plastic or rubber block, to allow some motion without abrasion and also to separate dissimilar metals? If so, is there a commercial spacer made for 3/4" pipe and high temperature that I should get and slip over the pipes? Or is this just bad luck?

Yes, my well water is acidic. That can't help. But I do have an acid neutralizer (calcite) and the treated water tests pH 7.2.

This may be unimportant, but the pinhole burst just after a plumber left. He just finished replacing the circulator pump. I wonder if he raised system pressure. I think it was 15 PSI, but can't be sure. Right now (after I fixed the leak) it reads 18 PSI. Is that too high? The safety relief is 30 PSI and is not venting.

Thank you for your help!

Slant fin base should have plastic runners that keep the fins off the brackets and allow it to slide back and forth as it expands and contracts. No part of the fin tube or the pipes should be in contact with the baseboard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks