Building-up an existing shower curb

Users who are viewing this thread

SH140

Reaction score
I recently installed a pre-formed shower pan and curb from Laticrete. It's made of some sort of dense foam. The whole thing is coated with HydroBan. After installation, I see that I would prefer that it be higher than 1 1/2" on the inside. Before I tile that area, is there a method to raise the height a few inches? I was thinking of wood, brick, or mortar/cement, but didn't know if any of these methods were acceptable, or how to bond them to the existing curb, or if they would be sturdy enough to tile over.

Does anyone have any detailed feedback if this is possible, and how to do it?

Hope you all have a Happy Holiday

P.S. Would another pre-formed curb (Noble or Laticrete) added on top of original be a better option? If so, what's method to attach one to the other?

Attachments

• 2013-11-22 04.21.23.jpg
    2013-11-22 04.21.23.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 761
  • 2013-11-22 04.20.58.jpg
    2013-11-22 04.20.58.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You could build it up a lot of different ways. I would use some concrete board and cut strips and set them to the exisiting Curb with thin-set (taping all of it with a wide mesh tape). Wait a few days and then re waterproof the top and inside of the curb. Leave the face (dry side) un waterproofed.

I don't see any re-inforcing fabric in the corners and the one wall does not look waterproofed. This pan is designed to be a topical waterproofing process.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks