Shower drain on basement remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

PattiS

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but have found lots of good stuff here. Now I need help for my unique situation. I removed the mortar shower pan and plan on replacing it with a mortar and tile one. The plumbing is an issue. It is a pipe with a flange welded on it. I was hoping to just float the mortar pan around it but I assume I will need a liner. My question is do I need to redo the piping to install a three piece drain (which will mean knocking out some of the slab) or is there a way to seal the pan around the pipe so I don't have bigger problems later with the slab? Here are a few pictures of the situation:

Attachments

• picture002.jpg
    picture002.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 268
  • picture003.jpg
    picture003.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 260

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally we would knock out some of the slab, and install a new clamping shower drain.
Not a big deal to do that.
I suppose you could also find something for that top of that and screw that down with Silicone. If it's mine though, I'm thinking total replacement. Everything builds off of that.

PattiS

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I was hoping not to cut into the slab, I don't feel that confident in my ability to do that. I may need to hire someone.

PattiS

Reaction score
Is the top of that drain just sitting there. It looks like some of the top collar is gone or corroded away. Are there no bolts or bolt holes visible?

There wasn't anything other than what you see when I took the shower pan out around it other than the strainer on top. There are no bolts or bolt holes and the collar is welded to the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can tap out the concrete with a sledge hammer.
There will be room to throw a coupling on. If not, it's not a big deal to change out the p-trap at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks