Bathtub Drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I never really thought about this being an issue until someone mentioned it to me yesterday. In my second bath is a standup shower. I want to convert this space and install a full size bathtub instead. If I do so I was informed that the entire drain would have to be converted to accommodate a bathtub and that the current shower drain would not be sufficient. Can someone please advise about this, and will this be an expensive overhaul (re: the drain issue, not the overall project)? Never gave much thought to this being a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Houston, TX USA

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The size of the shower drain is not an issue, but the piping will need to be re-routed to accommodate the tub drain. How hard that will be depends on how the existing drain and vent is installed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A shower drain is suffcient for tub use.
The tub takes a waste and overflow drain, which drops into a p-trap. You will need to move the p-trap.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, at least I know it's affordable with some minor retrofitting. Just one last thought before I go. The current drain for the shower is approx. 24 in from the left wall and after tearing out the right interior wall (right side shower wall) I will have a lot of leeway for positioning the tub from left to right. Basically, I should be able to line up the tub drain over the current shower drain. Thinking in common sense terms, will this in and of itself minimize a lot of the necessary retrofitting as far as installing the drain pipes for the tub? Or are there other major considerations I am overlooking? Just thinking out loud.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks