(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathtub Drain question

Default Bathtub Drain question

I never really thought about this being an issue until someone mentioned it to me yesterday. In my second bath is a standup shower. I want to convert this space and install a full size bathtub instead. If I do so I was informed that the entire drain would have to be converted to accommodate a bathtub and that the current shower drain would not be sufficient. Can someone please advise about this, and will this be an expensive overhaul (re: the drain issue, not the overall project)? Never gave much thought to this being a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
    Houston, TX USA

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The size of the shower drain is not an issue, but the piping will need to be re-routed to accommodate the tub drain. How hard that will be depends on how the existing drain and vent is installed.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A shower drain is suffcient for tub use.
    The tub takes a waste and overflow drain, which drops into a p-trap. You will need to move the p-trap.

Thanks to both of you, at least I know it's affordable with some minor retrofitting. Just one last thought before I go. The current drain for the shower is approx. 24 in from the left wall and after tearing out the right interior wall (right side shower wall) I will have a lot of leeway for positioning the tub from left to right. Basically, I should be able to line up the tub drain over the current shower drain. Thinking in common sense terms, will this in and of itself minimize a lot of the necessary retrofitting as far as installing the drain pipes for the tub? Or are there other major considerations I am overlooking? Just thinking out loud.