3D Stone and Tile Options - The new look of modern tile design

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A few months back I wrote and Article for Residential Building Magazine on Tile Trends for 2013. I love tile and love working with beautiful bathroom building materials. While researching my article I took the time to visit my favourite tile shops and look closely at all the new lines. What took me back was the texture all these new tiles have. So many tiles had shape to them and the variety of styles blew my mind.

I was back out again today and found some killer new tiles and wanted to share these finds here with you.

This is a 3D Marble Fireplace feature. Tiled by one of America's best installers Rod Katwyk of 3D Stone & Tile. What amazing showcase of skill and what an amazing feature wall for a sleek modern gas fireplace unit. If you are looking for a new twist on the classic tile greats - spend some time and check out Rod's new tile store.

I found Ames Bros Tile here in Burnaby littered with three dimensional tile of every kind. I did not find anything as nice as the Chevron Pattered Marble like above but I did find some great options.

Here is a peak at some of the nicer finds I found out shopping today.

Not sure what this was made from but it certainly has texture to it. Love the colour the most. This tile from Modular Arts....

Look How the Morning Light Hits this 3D Stone Tile Wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Texture for Character and Texture for Safety

A three dimensial tile will cast shadows when light shines across it's face. This light can be switched power or the rays of the early or setting sun. The texture created adds such beauty to tile installation. Texture can also add safety and I was pleased to find some amazing porcelain tile that look like stone and had an amazing textured surface - making it a great choice I think for a shower floor or bathroom floor tile.

Take a look at this porcelain tile.

Love this.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
3D Glass Tile

I can only imagine how cool this glass tile with the gentle waves would look at night down lit with some LED lighting! Beautiful stuff.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Unlimited options of 3D tile and stone options -- 3D tiled shower ceiling -- :)

3D Shower ceiling tile prep 015 -- rotated.jpg

3D Tiled Ceiling 018.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I'm going to try installing some of that crazy, textured tile in my daughter's bathroom.

Anyone know which aisle its on at Home Depot? LOL

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Very nice Roberto, are you using katwyk 3D backer there? Can you give us an in depth look? Im assuming a butt or 1/32 relief joint with no grout in dry areas? How about shower walls??? Not ceilings ..but walls? A shingle lap wall could work in a wet area? All kind of options

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Very nice Roberto, are you using katwyk 3D backer there? Can you give us an in depth look? Im assuming a butt or 1/32 relief joint with no grout in dry areas? How about shower walls??? Not ceilings ..but walls? A shingle lap wall could work in a wet area? All kind of options

Thank you RSCB -- I am just an apprentice of the trade -- ;).

No 3D backer -- Rod's -- , but he inspired me in including the 3D design . And it is awesome .

I used the old techniques -- the hard way LOL -- . Custom cut , sand the edges , custom amplitudes use , mortar backing , etc.

3D layout and prep 003.jpg

3D layout and prep 04.jpg

3D layout and prep 02.jpg

3D layout and prep 03.jpg

The Spectralock Pro Epoxy Grout does a very good job for filling the 1/8 gap in between the tiles . You can use a specific range -- width of the joint -- , but the closer -- butted --you go , the more precise your cuts should be -- no play -- .

Can't believe I am '' promoting '' lippage .:D

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Yep that looks like the hard way! AKA known as skillset! In an installation like that the tuscan system cannot save the novice!!!

I love it, Next the shingle
Lap!!!!!!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I did use the MLT system -- tricky -- for the ceiling -- extra insurance -- , but I should've trust the X77 to do the job .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I did use the MLT system -- tricky -- for the ceiling -- extra insurance -- , but I should've trust the X77 to do the image.jpgjob .

Cant say the proleveling system is so great, my tuscan needs replacing and is getting way to expensive
Prolevel pommels and straps are by far more affordable, not as accurate and can easily force your grout joint out of whack if You need to snug it up on large format walls.... Just my experience..

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nice work Roberto.

Rod inspired my Kwayk Style trench drain. Love that guy.

....I used the old techniques -- the hard way LOL -- . Custom cut , sand the edges , custom amplitudes use , mortar backing , etc. ....

Old techniques. Like Skill Roberto. Like giving a shit. Like micro bevelling your cuts so you client has no idea which is the cut side.

The X77 is pretty slick stuff.

How do you like it compared to Lat 254? I find it has a slightly finer aggregate....

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Nice work Roberto.

Rod inspired my Kwayk Style trench drain. Love that guy.

Old techniques. Like Skill Roberto. Like giving a shit. Like micro bevelling your cuts so you client has no idea which is the cut side.

The X77 is pretty slick stuff.

How do you like it compared to Lat 254? I find it has a slightly finer aggregate....

Welcome to understanding what a look takes -- time consuming , not overdoing --.

The X77 is not comparable with 254. The non sagging of the X77 is outstanding. For extra flexibility -- those Aussies literature -- you can mix it with E90, instead of water.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Roberto the install looks great. I bet Jim is researching the products now and forming a blast post as we speak.

Can you use Microtec Technology over Jim's beloved "S" Product? Or is the Microtec some type of additive which "Modify's" the thin-set making it preform better?

Can I use Microtec over;

NobleSeal TS?
Wedi?
Hydro Ban?
8+9?
Laticrete Sheet Membrane?
Aquadefence?
Red GUard?
Any "S" product

Thanks for the showcase.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks