Runaway Thermostat?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
Relief valve opened on my hot water heater. The water was very hot from the tap, so I turned the unit off and ran enough water through it to get cold water into it. I checked the valve to make sure it was working properly, and then tried to turn the unit back on, however it would not turn on. I reset the breaker on the thermostat and it came back on.

So it seems to me I have a runaway thermostat.

This is just a point of use Ariston 4 gallon water heater, just want to be sure before I go pick up a thermostat, because I suppose it could also be the element.

Thanks!

(Also it's just a small point of use unit so it's off until I get it fixed)

Last edited by a moderator:

WyrTwister

Reaction score
The tstat only switched one of the two hots ( 240 VAC ) I saw a WH that had an element shorted to ground on the un-switched hot . Therefore , part os the element was apparently running / heating 24/7 ?

The big box stores carry a plumbers pack with upper and lower tstat and 2 elements . That might be the way to go ?

However , if yours is a 4 gallon unit , is it 120 VAC ?

God bless
Wyr

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I agree that a shorted element can cause the problem.

If they short they can weld the contacts on the thermostat.

Is that unit on 120V or 240V ?

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks