Building House--Basement Ground Work Wrong--Help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I am building a new house. The plumber messed up the location of the ground work in the basement. The basement bathroom is directly below the upstairs bathroom. They are both full baths.

The plumbing wall for the basement is on the left hand wall and te plumbing wall for the upstairs is on the right hand wall. Will this work?

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I will do the best I can. Here are the pictures.

IMG_20131119_115304_980.jpg

IMG_20131124_214449_765.jpg

IMG_20131124_221018_962.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
According to your pictures, the toilets and sinks ARE on different sides of the rooms so that is how he would have had to install the piping. Whoever drew the plans should have put the downstairs toilet and sink on the other side of the room, since it would not have changed the clearances.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The question is, "Can he do it"? The answer is, "He better be able to do it." In fact, he should have known HOW he was going to do it, before he even installed those pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that sketch is your new agreed-on plan, and the bathroom walls are above each other. I expect he runs the big toilet pipe mostly horizontal between or under the the joists. If that is a finished ceiling, I am guessing the ceiling will be lower than it would have otherwise been. Which way the joists run would make a big difference as to how much shorter the basement ceiling would be. Or maybe he is thinking it is just a basement, so he leaves the pipe visible. The small pipes are relatively minor. I expect he runs another vent to the attic, but I don't know if if he will make an extra roof penetration, or he will join the vents in the attic.

The other alternative would be to break open the basement concrete and do more under-floor plumbing in the basement.

I am not a pro, and I am not going to guess at the description of what fittings would be used.

Are you your own general contractor and the plumber bid a fixed price?

While you are at it, maybe put an AC outlet by one of the toilets in case you want a powered bidet seat in the future.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Yes this is the agreed fix for the screwup. It sounds like the answer is the plumber can make it work but it won't be as easy as it should have been.

The person paying for the service should have the right to second guess and question everything. An attitude that you are above your customer sounds like a sure route to failure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks