Wall mount shut offs and best practice

Users who are viewing this thread

Wazzoo

Reaction score
We have a new construction with all wall mount fixtures in California. Builder says shuts offs for ea fixture are not standard and they do not provide? Is it not code to have shut off values added to every fixture except shower mixture values? What is the industry best standards for installing shut off values if diff than code? It was my understanding it would be a good standard to install shutoff valves at each fixture or all that you can. We have many wall mounted sink fixtures above standard cabinets and I expected to find access panels in each cabinet to gain access to each faucets shutoff values but there are no shutoff valves installed anywhere? Should we reopen the wall before finishing cabinets? What is code and or best practice for these type wall mount sink faucets?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know anyone that installs separate shutoffs for wall mounted faucets.
Separate shutoffs are installed for deck mounted faucets, but when the faucet is in the wall, there really isn't a spec for that.
That would have to be discussed "before" work was done as it would be non-standard.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wazzoo

Reaction score
Interesting that it's none standard. From what I read in both IBC and CBC it would be required per code? I see that it would be hard to do if there were not standard cabinets under the faucets but we do have them. If it were one or two it would be less of a concern. As it stands, and we are months from completion, there are no shutoffs anywhere but for the single house main. Would it really be standard to not add in any to shut off at least for a room, wing, floor? It's something I would have preferred designed in certainly as a best practice. Not that it matters for best practice but this project is high end with many discussion work being at above standards from day one. Thank you for your input. We are not looking for conflicts and like the entire project team including the arch, contractor and plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Smooky, that "added part" would be useless unless it was a T&S wall mount "sink faucet", NOT a different manufacturer OR a wall mount lavatory faucet. There are "in wall stops" which look like bathtub valves that can be installed in the piping up to the faucets, but they are NOT something we would install unless someone specified them and was willing to pay for the time and material to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks