Pedestal Sink Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 1.5" galvanized piece of drain pipe sticking out of the wall (out of a santee I assume). We want to install the new pedestal sink a few inches over from the center of the drain line. I'm not sure of exactly how much yet. Can I just swing the trap over a few inches? If so, how much? It was suggested that since it's unlikely I'll be able to mount it to the studs, I should use some toggle bolts. The wall is 1/2" sheetrock.

How do I connect the trap arm to the drain? Some kind of trap adapter? Do they make deep escutcheons to make up for the water lines sticking out somewhat far?

(Kohler pedestal sink)

THANKS!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That all depends on how wide the pedestal's base is. If you use 1.25" trap, this will give you some more adjustment. Most times if you are too far beyond the swinging of the trap, you can start off at the wall with a tubular 45 fitting, but if the base doesn't cover this, I would just make the adjustment in the wall and turn out PVC with a marvel connector.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Agree with RUGGED. You will most likely have a hard time / not be able to do it without moving the pipe in the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pedestal

It would be an unusual pedestal that had an opening in the back that was large enough to allow the sink to be moved more than an inch or two sideways, by just rotating the trap.

cidgrad98

Reaction score
same problem

I did all finish plumbing and my house and had 1 pedestal sink with the same exact problem you are running into. My sink was off center from my drain line about 2 inches and pedestal limited the amount the trap could rotate...I tried flexible traps and finally ended up getting it to fit but it leaks b/c of the wierd angles I had to use. Trust me it's easier to just cut the sheetrock and move the drain to line up with the sink...or better yet take the pedestal sink back and get a cabinet for the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks