How long is too long before regeneration?

Users who are viewing this thread

nafterclifen

Reaction score
I am treating 6gpg of hardness and 1ppm of iron well water with a Marlo CMP-25 combo filter/softener.

If I configure the unit to regenerate on demand, it would take approx 18 days to consume 2700 gallons @ current household usage (150 gallons per day) to reach the 30,000 grain capacity. That is with the unit configured for 11gpg of hardness (6gpg in water and 5gpg to treat iron). My fear is that 18 days is too long for all of the minerals to be attached to the resin and as a result, I will have to replace the resin prematurely. Although waiting 18 days to regenerate will maximize salt usage, I fear it poses a threat to the performance and longevity of the resin.

Alternatively, if the unit is set to regenerate every 10 days (this is the current setting) then I am not utilizing the full 30,000 grain capacity of the unit. I am also increasing my water and salt usage and waste to my septic.

So how long is too long before regenerating and how should I configure my unit?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It sounds as if you have a 1.0 cuft softener since you mention 30,000. To get 30K out of a 1.0 cuft, you need to use 15 lbs of salt each regeneration. That gets you very poor salt efficiency of 2000 grains/lb. If you use less you don't get 30k. Click the Click Here link in my signature for more on that.

nafterclifen

Reaction score
It sounds as if you have a 1.0 cuft softener since you mention 30,000. To get 30K out of a 1.0 cuft, you need to use 15 lbs of salt each regeneration. That gets you very poor salt efficiency of 2000 grains/lb. If you use less you don't get 30k. Click the Click Here link in my signature for more on that.

Unfortunately, I am not able to adjust the salt dosage per regeneration - can I? If I could, I would set it to use 4lbs and regenerate every 10 days as per your chart.

By the way, I noticed that your sizing calculator accounts for 4gpg to treat 1ppm iron but I am treating 1ppm iron with 5gpg hardness. So the numbers are close...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
All softeners allow setting the salt dose somehow but being you have a Marlo and I don/t know what brand valve is on it, I can't tell you how. Post a picture of the face of the control valve.

I have treated a lot of iron with softeners and 4 grains per mg/l or ppm works fine as long as the water is always crystal clear when drawn.

nafterclifen

Reaction score
All softeners allow setting the salt dose somehow but being you have a Marlo and I don/t know what brand valve is on it, I can't tell you how. Post a picture of the face of the control valve.

I have treated a lot of iron with softeners and 4 grains per mg/l or ppm works fine as long as the water is always crystal clear when drawn.

It's a clack valve.

cmp.jpg

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Push the Next and Down Arrow buttons both at the same time (it takes two hands usually) and let go. I can't remember what you will see but you are looking for the lbs of salt. If you don't see the lbs, push the Next button to go to the next field and repeat as needed. When you get to the last programming screen and push Next, it will take you back to the Service screen. Of course you won't know which screen is the last, so... to get out of the programming, push the Next button until you get back to what was on the screen before you push the Next and Down Arrow. You also set the capacity in those screens. To change values you use the UP or DOWN arrow buttons but.... you need to know what size softener you have before you change anything.

nafterclifen

Reaction score
Push the Next and Down Arrow buttons both at the same time (it takes two hands usually) and let go. I can't remember what you will see but you are looking for the lbs of salt. If you don't see the lbs, push the Next button to go to the next field and repeat as needed. When you get to the last programming screen and push Next, it will take you back to the Service screen. Of course you won't know which screen is the last, so... to get out of the programming, push the Next button until you get back to what was on the screen before you push the Next and Down Arrow. You also set the capacity in those screens. To change values you use the UP or DOWN arrow buttons but.... you need to know what size softener you have before you change anything.

Next and Down arrow combination worked, thanks Gary!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks