Costco Premier 40,000-grain High Capacity Water Softening System

Users who are viewing this thread

zztinker

Reaction score
I set this up about two months ago, It has plenty of salt and I can hear it recycle at times, however my water is not soft and It has not used any salt. The salt is wet and the float valve is working properly. The valves are all turned in the correct position. This is our second home in Pismo Beach and the water is very hard. I am stumped and could use some advice. I set it to HC with the hardness set to 30...

Noyzee1

Reaction score
..."modified" Autotrol- wow, interesting! Care to elaborate?
I didn't know that manufacturers could do that. I've seen these at my local SoAz Costco and was wondering about them.
I see they're made by Watts, which I'm not familiar with, but who makes a wide variety of water treatment and control products.
Any further opinions by the pros?

Reach4

Reaction score
It has not used any salt. The salt is wet and the float valve is working properly.

Depending on what you are calling a float valve, this would indicate a problem.

If you are talking about a safety float valve has a float valve in the brine tank with the float floating somewhat near the incoming brine tube, that probably indicates a problem. Normally a softener drains the brine from the tank for each regen, and a measured amount of water gets put into the tank by the controller-- an amount that should not cause the float valve to come into play. The float valve in the side brine tank is a backup to prevent overflow in case the brine is not being drawn out.

If you are talking about a floating ball that is not in brine tank, or if you are somehow talking about a hidden ball at the bottom of the brine tank in the brine pickup, then my comments about the problem would not apply.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The "Peanut" valve is manufactured by Pentair and uses a flapper design like the autotrol, but also uses the plumbing connectors like the 7000. I have had a few in for testing, they are decent valves, just slightly better than the low end manufacturers. I am sure it was designed to compete with the low end market. Fleck, Autotrol, Clack, etc make proprietary valves based on their particular technology which usually allows a company like Rainsoft to sell a product they know is made by a great company and it can reduce R&D, tooling, molds, etc. which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more for a quality control valve. Some companies opt for minimal modifications to an existing control valve, like a new cover, or a new cover and new electronics board. Others go for a completely modified valve which makes even the internal components proprietary.

zztinker

Reaction score
Depending on what you are calling a float valve, this would indicate a problem.

If you are talking about a safety float valve has a float valve in the brine tank with the float floating somewhat near the incoming brine tube, that probably indicates a problem. Normally a softener drains the brine from the tank for each regen, and a measured amount of water gets put into the tank by the controller-- an amount that should not cause the float valve to come into play. The float valve in the side brine tank is a backup to prevent overflow in case the brine is not being drawn out.

If you are talking about a floating ball that is not in brine tank, or if you are somehow talking about a hidden ball at the bottom of the brine tank in the brine pickup, then my comments about the problem would not apply.

I give up on the Costco premier. The brine tank never drains, it's about 1/3 full. I have run all the cycles and it seems like it just drains water out into my sewer line. It has not used any salt at all. I guess I'll take it back to Costco and get another one or just get Culligan to install a portable softner at $30 a month.
This is our beach home and the water is realy hard, our new dishwasher filter clogs up with soapy white stuff after each wash. I'm pretty machanical, but this thing has drove me crazy.

zztinker

Reaction score
I set this up about two months ago, It has plenty of salt and I can hear it recycle at times, however my water is not soft and It has not used any salt. The salt is wet and the float valve is working properly. The valves are all turned in the correct position. This is our second home in Pismo Beach and the water is very hard. I am stumped and could use some advice. I set it to HC with the hardness set to 30...

I took back the softener to Costco and got a new one. Hooked everything up without salt and put it through the cycles, it put water in the brine tank, then it removed water after it cycled. Did everything as the directions said. I then put in salt and now waiting for it to go through all the cycles. Hopefully it will now give me soft water.....

zztinker

Reaction score
I took back the softener to Costco and got a new one. Hooked everything up without salt and put it through the cycles, it put water in the brine tank, then it removed water after it cycled. Did everything as the directions said. I then put in salt and now waiting for it to go through all the cycles. Hopefully it will now give me soft water.....

The new costco premier water softener works great, I have now soft water, have no idea what was wrong with the old one....

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Probably a 5 minute fix on the old one. It is common during installation to get a small piece of debris in the system which can clog an injector, DLFC button etc.

This is why I discontinued selling to Costco when I was with a different company, the vast majority of returns had nothing wrong with the equipment.

zztinker

Reaction score
Probably a 5 minute fix on the old one. It is common during installation to get a small piece of debris in the system which can clog an injector, DLFC button etc.

This is why I discontinued selling to Costco when I was with a different company, the vast majority of returns had nothing wrong with the equipment.

Your probably right, I tried calling the 800 number but I was put on hold for 20 min. And gave up. I'm sure it was something simple...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks