(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Costco Premier 40,000-grain High Capacity Water Softening System

Default Costco Premier 40,000-grain High Capacity Water Softening System

I set this up about two months ago, It has plenty of salt and I can hear it recycle at times, however my water is not soft and It has not used any salt. The salt is wet and the float valve is working properly. The valves are all turned in the correct position. This is our second home in Pismo Beach and the water is very hard. I am stumped and could use some advice. I set it to HC with the hardness set to 30...

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I remeber correctly, that is a "Peanut" valve. It is a modified Autotrol.

It is a fairly decent valve, you should try some basic troubleshooting first.

Put the system into regeneration and see if the system removes and replaces the water in the brine tank.

See if this manual matches up to your system.

http://content.costco.ca/Images/Cont.../319628Eng.pdf

..."modified" Autotrol- wow, interesting! Care to elaborate?
    I didn't know that manufacturers could do that. I've seen these at my local SoAz Costco and was wondering about them.
    I see they're made by Watts, which I'm not familiar with, but who makes a wide variety of water treatment and control products.
    Any further opinions by the pros?

No valve manufacturer puts their name on their valves. That valve has the same backwards/reversed inlet/outlet as Autotrol and the timer looks alike too. Iit is not a regular Autotrol valve that is sold by independent dealers.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by zztinker View Post
    It has not used any salt. The salt is wet and the float valve is working properly.
    Depending on what you are calling a float valve, this would indicate a problem.

If you are talking about a safety float valve has a float valve in the brine tank with the float floating somewhat near the incoming brine tube, that probably indicates a problem. Normally a softener drains the brine from the tank for each regen, and a measured amount of water gets put into the tank by the controller-- an amount that should not cause the float valve to come into play. The float valve in the side brine tank is a backup to prevent overflow in case the brine is not being drawn out.

If you are talking about a floating ball that is not in brine tank, or if you are somehow talking about a hidden ball at the bottom of the brine tank in the brine pickup, then my comments about the problem would not apply.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The "Peanut" valve is manufactured by Pentair and uses a flapper design like the autotrol, but also uses the plumbing connectors like the 7000. I have had a few in for testing, they are decent valves, just slightly better than the low end manufacturers. I am sure it was designed to compete with the low end market. Fleck, Autotrol, Clack, etc make proprietary valves based on their particular technology which usually allows a company like Rainsoft to sell a product they know is made by a great company and it can reduce R&D, tooling, molds, etc. which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more for a quality control valve. Some companies opt for minimal modifications to an existing control valve, like a new cover, or a new cover and new electronics board. Others go for a completely modified valve which makes even the internal components proprietary.