(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Water Treatment System Recommendations

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

It's apparently a well-known problem in hair circles; see http://laurelspassions.hubpages.com/...pensive-Remedy. Note that that page cautions that "Colored hair may react different [sic], so be careful there." You might have your wife ask a good salon about that.

Here's a more extensive discussion of orange hair: http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/...om-iron-water/.
    Last edited by Mikey; 12-02-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added

Mikey, Gary S. -
    Thanks for the info. The Mrs., has been using the Malibu products mentioned in the one link. This has helped somewhat with the color side of the problem. She also tried many other remedies like washing with bottled/distilled water - but found that was not fun due to the fact that the water was "cold" (room temp), and was quite a PITA. Also, she has continued to have problems with stiff un-comb-able hair that is breaking a lot. She continually argues that when we lived on city water, she had no problems and now on well she has all kinds of problems.

Some neighbors swear by their Kin*tico systems, but I'm not about to fund some sales guy's kids college fund when I can install and maintain my own system. Plus, they just seemed to try to seel an expensive one-system-fits-all.

As Gary mentioned and your links confirm, I'm sure the hair problem is primarily due to iron. I'm guessing that there's plenty of iron getting past my current WaterBoss softener. My current problem is that my head is spinning trying to figure out a iron treatment solution. Granted, I don't have crazy high iron, but it is high enough that I'm hesitent to rely simply on the softener taking care of it - I just feel like I should have something specific to iron before the softener. There's so many solutions out there: Birm, Greensand, H2O2, Chlorine, Prylox, proprietary (Terminox, inFUSION), air pump-tank, etc.

I think I've excluded chlorine because I don't have space for a contact tank, Birm because of multiple reasons, Greensand because of potassium permanganate, and H2O2-based systems because of cost.

A good (local) friend has highly recommended "iron curtain" systems, however those are expensive, dual tank takes a lot of space and don't seem to be DIY-available.

Right now I'm leaning towards an air charged filter with a Fleck 2510, maybe something like:
    http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/FE010010.html

Or, prylox or budget water terminox.
    Last edited by lipinskifb; 12-02-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Changed H2s typo for H2O2

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipinskifb View Post
    I think I've excluded chlorine because I don't have space for a contact tank
    You might look into what I call a "swirly tank" (http://www.apwinc.com/retention_tank.html) which claims to outperform the "standard" 120 gallon retention tank in a much smaller footprint. I've got one, but haven't installed it yet. I'm planning on putting it ahead of the existing retention tank (which I'd love to get rid of) and testing it before trashing the big tank. Don't hold your breath waiting for my test results .

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a relative that lived in Alaska with 18 ppm iron. Were able to remove it with birm and simple air injection... not recommended but it worked great. She suddenly had to start dying her hair since it quickly turned gray without the iron in the water. It was her natural hair dye.

You are correct to include the iron filter. It will make your softener perform better with much less maintenance, and deliver really nice water quality.

I have two females in my household with municipal water. No iron in my water, but removing the chlorine and hardness was enough for them to notice a big difference when washing their hair.

Here is another Manganese type of iron filter that might be interesting. It can automatically backwash with chlorine (softener valve) to clean itself and increase the catalysis of iron without chlorinating the filtered supply. But with your moderate iron problem you could run it without chlorine and it would probably be very effective.

Downside of MangOx is it requires a strong backwash, 10 GPM for 1.5 cu ft. More is better. Upside of this setup is it uses the 7000 valve.

Edit: apparently MangOx is older technology, the air injection filter you linked is probably a good option. Catalytic carbon or Greensand plus are both supposed to be good media depending on the specifics of your water and presence of dissolved oxygen.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 12-02-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Lifespeed

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MangOx is a great media but... we recommend backwashing it at 15 GPM for a 10" diameter tank, and it should be backwashed very often (daily preferred, not less than every third day). Other than that, it works very well!