Kohler K-300 hot and cold valves different?

Users who are viewing this thread

cheetah chrome

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the process of a bathroom reno. I'm reusing the Kohler deck mounted tub faucet that was on our old jacuzzi tub on our new soaker. From the perspective of sitting in the tub the hot and cold was reversed on the original tub since we bought the house. Now that I've remounted the faucet my plan was to just correct the supplies so hot would be on the left. The valve body that was originally on the left (from the perspective of sitting in the tub) is labeled 'Cold'. Is there actually a difference in the two different valve inerds?...or is this label just for reference? If I physically flip the valve assy 180 degrees i would have the supplies lined up w the label but the handles would be swinging the wrong direction. Thanks!

cheetah chrome

Reaction score
Ok, then I shouldn't have any issues if I just switch the supplies.

Still seems odd to me that Kohler would label the stem that turns counter clockwise towards the tub as cold...as that stem would be the one on the left hand side.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a "standard" that cold "lever" handles turn CCW to close, but you do not specify whether it is closing or opening when you turn yours CCW. But it is also a matter of application. On a flat deck the cold is CCW to close, but if it is wall mounted, then CW is preferable, otherwise heavy handles can cause it to open by itself. And while CCW stems "usually" have a left hand thread, some Kohler CCW stems have a right hand stem screw. a simple way to determine which way to rotate the handles is to "pull lever handles toward you to turn on the valve", and rotate round handles CCW to turn on both hot and cold. Even this is a generalization, however, because many specialty manufacturers send out their faucets with left and right hand lever handle stems, even with round handles, because it is easier and cheaper to stock a single version.

cheetah chrome

Reaction score
Thanks all, in this case the factory 'cold' labelled valve turns CCW to open (flat deck install). Regardless, I swapped the supplies so the hot would be on the left (connected to labebeled 'cold' on the valve body...CCW to open). I've since ran the tub to check for leaks flush out any flux and it flows just fine. I get the same flow rate when running each valve independently so it appears for my situation that the only difference is the directions the valves turn. Thanks again,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks