Advice on iron filter

Users who are viewing this thread

edreher

Reaction score
We've battled with iron filtration over a few years and can't seem to get to a point where we're happy with it consistently. Stained fixtures and particularly discolored hot water.

Well water depth of 350'
measured by lab:
Calcium 24.6 mg/L
Iron 6.27 mg/L
Magnesium 5.61 mg/L

I have a pH meter I trust and keep calibrated. Well water comes in at 6.3.

We have a neutralizing filter (10x54") with Fleck 5600 mechanical valve on it and filled with calcite. Upon new or replenished calcite, I get 6.8 after this filter. I'm not convinced I'm keeping the correct volume of calcite in it

Then we have an air-injection iron filter with a zeolite (that I can find very little information on) Tank is 12 or 13" diameter and 54" tall. Fleck 2510SXT injection valve. (Currently set to 10 min backwash and 40 minute BD/"brine draw" aka air regeneration as I understand it). only recently did I realize this BD step had been only 10 minutes and I've adjusted.

I had previously convinced myself the filters needed more backwashing and we've often run at backwashing both nightly, taking care they don't overlap. But I believe the 5600 takes several hours to complete and possibly I'm getting overlap.

In the past I believe we weren't' backwashing enough and one time I found the calcite had become concrete balls. and I was likely channeling.

It seems I need to check pH more often and replenish the calcite more often than I have ( has been 6 months or so). Maybe I'm backwashing it too frequently and prematurely diminishing it.

I question if I should try a different media in my iron filter. My original installer doesn't use that equipment source any more and I can find only a colorful 1-2 page selling brochure on it. I wonder if my pH is still too low for the zeolite?

I question if I should replace the neutralizer valve with something I can adjust the backwash on.

I can get iron down to zero for short periods of time, but most often between .25 and .5 mg/L. Similar related note, I installed a small RO unit for drinking and aquarium water only after to notice a requirement of < .2 mg/L of iron for proper performance.

(edit BTW, thanks for the forum. I've already learned by reading other's advice)

edreher

Reaction score
Can I correctly conclude that backwashing my calcite neutralizer is prematurely using up the calcite? Current schedule is every other day. I'm thinking that should be more like 3-4 days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks