The well is in, now what

Users who are viewing this thread

kaw550

Reaction score
I am having a artesian well installed. It was actually installed two weeks ago. This week the line to house is being installed this week.

I have a few questions but couldn't reach the well companyy so I thought I would post them here...

Does the well company usually install the power supply line from the pump to the house? I would then have it connected to a junction box wired from my panel? Does code normally require some type of on/off switch?

It is going to be a 220V 1/2 HP pump. Any guesses as to what size breaker it will need? 12/2 wire from the panel the junction box?

What type of fitting is on the house side of the pressure tank? I need to determine how to tie into the exiting plumbing.

This is going into an older cottage/cabin that is being renovated. I need to get get the water running ASAP so I can see what needs to be fixed and how I am going to winterize it before it gets any colder.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the pump installer runs the power line to the well, but unless the law has been changed he can't splice the wires at the well.

I install a 3/4 ball valve on the discharge side of the tank unless there is a request for a 1".

Most electricians will use 2, 20 amp breakers

Greenmonster304

Reaction score
Yes, the pump installer runs the power line to the well, but unless the law has been changed he can't splice the wires at the well.

Really? CT doesn't let you install 3 crimp connectors at the well head? What about the connection from the pump to the sub wire, do you have to call an electrician for that too?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ct allows us to splice, but he is in Mass. and the last I knew (12yrs ago) pump installers in Mass couldn't legally do the splice at the top of the well unless they were also licensed electricians.

kaw550

Reaction score
Would I also need a separate plumbing permit to connect the tank to the house plumbing?

Greenmonster304

Reaction score
Do you think this rule is followed or enforced strictly? It would seem unlikely that on a service call for no water the well service tech wold say " sorry Mrs. Jones with 3 young kids i can't get water back on because Mass says I can't connect these three little wires, you have to call and electrician."

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Do you think this rule is followed or enforced strictly? It would seem unlikely that on a service call for no water the well service tech wold say " sorry Mrs. Jones with 3 young kids i can't get water back on because Mass says I can't connect these three little wires, you have to call and electrician."

That is exactly what he would have to do. Do you really think we could survive without the government telling us exactly how everything must be? How unpatriotic is that? LOL

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt it is strictly enforced, but imagine if there was a problem and someone got lit up due to a faulty splice? Yeah I know it's unlikely, but......strange stuff happens

I know a lot of guys lay or wind the wire up on the ground and don't cut the wires.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I doubt it is strictly enforced, but imagine if there was a problem and someone got lit up due to a faulty splice? Yeah I know it's unlikely, but......strange stuff happens

I know a lot of guys lay or wind the wire up on the ground and don't cut the wires.

This sounds so crazy to me....they are allowed to make the splice that's underwater right??? Sounds like the pump installers need a better lobby with the regulators. Saw your comments about this connection in another post....everyone around here uses wire nuts under the cap for uf to sub wire...never any problems...what do you use? On bigger stuff, #6 or bigger,I use Burndy connectors...but they are too pricey for residential work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks