Toto Drake II tank - are they now only shipping the 1gpf tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

bigred123

Reaction score
I just bought a Toto Drake II (Model #CST454CEFG01). The toilet arrived in 2 parts...the toilet bowl itself and the tank. This particular Drake II is a 1.28gpf toilet, however the tank the dealer sent me was the new 1gpf tank (ST453U#01). Toto is saying this is fine, however I have a hard time understanding how the bowl is going to get enough water to flush if the tank is only 1gpf.

Is this what Toto is doing now? Any suggestions / guidance please as the toilet is being installed on Thursday. Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The way I understand it is that Toto is moving to the same bowl (C454CUFG) for both the 1.28 and the 1.0 on the Drake II. (There is one bowl on the original Drake now, for both the 1.6 and 1.28 tanks.)

However, if you ordered a 1.28gpf toilet, and wanted the aesthetics and performance of the tank on the 1.28 toilet,, you deserve it. If you ordered CST454CEFG, then you should get the ST454E tank and either the C454CUFG bowl or the C454CEFG bowl. The ST453U tank is expressly for the 1G version. It has different-style guts (no flapper) and looks different. If that isn't what you ordered and it isn't what you wanted, the supplier should replace it.

The 1.28 version of the toilet is definitely available, and that is the one with the ST454E tank.

bigred123

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. The ST454E tank is the newer style though on the Drake II (the original Drake had the tank longer and angled at the edges)? From what I can tell, the 1.28gpf and 1.0gpf toilet tanks look identical, I imagine except for the innards (no flapper on the 1.0gpf) - is that correct?

The bowl they sent me is indeed the C454CUFG, which might explain the confusion when they ordered the tank. Does anyone have an opinion on the new 1gpf yet? I can't find many reviews on it, but I think I'd rather stick with the more tried and true 1.28gpf model. Comments?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
On the Original Drake (CST744E or CST744S), the 1.28 tank (ST743E) and the 1.6 tank (ST743S) look the same with different guts. There is also a new-look tank in the 1.28 that is an option (ST743EN).

In the Drake II, which is what you have, the 1G tank looks noticeably-different than the 1.28gpf tank.

CST454CUFG toilet, with the 1G tank (ST453U), is shown in the photo directly below:

drake-1g-04.jpg

drake-1g-03.jpg

drake-1g-02.jpg

TOTO CST454CUFG Drake 1G

CST454CEFG toilet is shown in the picture directly below, with the 1.28gpf tank (ST454E). [For what it's worth, that same ST454E tank goes on the Vespin II skirted toilet, which is 1.28gpf; the box for the ST454E tank will say DRAKE II/VESPIN II TANK on it]. At least one supplier got confused with a member's order because his sheet called the ST454E the "Vespin II Tank" and so he ordered the "Drake II 1G" tank instead. That may be what happened here.

As to performance, the reviews I have seen of the 1G are actually very positive. HOWEVER, one must understand that a person who knowingly purchases a 1G toilet is doing so because they are interested in helping the environment and water saving is important to them; accordingly, they are likely to be happy if the thing just works, as opposed to the person who purchases a Toto specifically because of its vaunted flush. That said, there is no denying that the reviews of those people who bought the 1G are indeed positive.

In contrast, the 1.28gpf version also gets stellar reviews, and those reviews are likely from a broader cross-section of people who purchased it for a wider variety of reasons and have a wider variety of demands. On a big merchant site, the Drake II CST454CEFG is routinely their number-one selling toilet of any brand, and it gets great reviews. It is definitely tried-and-true. And it has a simple flapper-based flush system, whereas the 1G has a more-precise but more-complex flushing device.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred123

Reaction score
Toilet is great. We had 3 Drake II's 1.28gpf installed and one Entrada (1.28gpf) for a total of 4 Toto's. The flush is a little louder than we are used to, coming from an American Standard toilet....but the performance seems great. We are pleased, and much more so with the 1.28gpf correct tanks :)

Thanks guys for all your help!

Spencer Wong

Reaction score
...HOWEVER, one must understand that a person who knowingly purchases a 1G toilet is doing so because they are interested in helping the environment and water saving is important to them; accordingly, they are likely to be happy if the thing just works, as opposed to the person who purchases a Toto specifically because of its vaunted flush. That said, there is no denying that the reviews of those people who bought the 1G are indeed positive.

In contrast, the 1.28gpf version also gets stellar reviews, and those reviews are likely from a broader cross-section of people who purchased it for a wider variety of reasons and have a wider variety of demands. On a big merchant site, the Drake II CST454CEFG is routinely their number-one selling toilet of any brand, and it gets great reviews. It is definitely tried-and-true. And it has a simple flapper-based flush system, whereas the 1G has a more-precise but more-complex flushing device.

First, Happy new year! Second, I'm looking to get the Drake II CST454CEFG but can't seem to find them here (I'm in Canada). What one of our retailers here stocks are the CUFGs. I've been told they are no longer receiving CEFGs moving forward. Toto is the only brand I'd trust with a 1g flush and I've got a CST744e and a dual flush Aquia. I love the flush on the 1.28 744e but am less impressed with the capabilities of the Aquia. I think my main concern there is that there's so little standing water in the tank, it's too susceptible to staining. So I'm naturally apprehensive at the CUFG 1G version of the drake 2.

Anyway, I included your quote above because while I am somewhat environmentally conscious, (the current toilet is a 3.5G per flush :eek:) I don't want to sacrifice flush performance between the 1.28 and the 1G. Are my fears unfounded? Is the 1G going to do a good job? The fact that your site recommends the CEFG is one of the main reasons I lean to that model if I Can find it, thanks in advance!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
First, Happy new year! Second, I'm looking to get the Drake II CST454CEFG but can't seem to find them here (I'm in Canada).

Wolseley carries the full Toto line in Canada. They are a wholesaler, but they have some retail subsidiaries, including TAPS, Vague&Vogue and Kitchen&Bath Classics: http://www.wolseleyinc.ca/showrooms/Showrooms.htm I have no idea how good/bad their prices are, but it's a start. And your retailer can order it from them if they use them as a wholesaler. I notice that the CST454CEFG is available from a couple of other sources up there. So I would try local plumbing supply places with the exact model number, and see if they can't order it for you.

Last edited:

Spencer Wong

Reaction score
Wolseley carries the full Toto line in Canada. They are a wholesaler, but they have some retail subsidiaries, including TAPS, Vague&Vogue and Kitchen&Bath Classics: http://www.wolseleyinc.ca/showrooms/Showrooms.htm I have no idea how good/bad their prices are, but it's a start. And your retailer can order it from them if they use them as a wholesaler. I notice that the CST454CEFG is available from a couple of other sources up there. So I would try local plumbing supply places with the exact model number, and see if they can't order it for you.

Awesome! I called them - Wolseley isn't a wholesaler they deal with and if they were to bring it in, I'd have to pay a premium. They suggested I could buy from them directly but they also found out that I can marry the old tank with the new bowl and I recall reading somewhere on here that that is very doable (just not the other way around). So I opted for that route instead. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks