(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backfeeding question

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Water is about the only thing that a person really "Needs"
    How do I get water using an extension cord?
    Submersible pump, all wiring contained in conduit all the way back to the panel. Seems to my layman mind that anything I do to make that "extension cord ready" would itself be a violation.
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Couldn't you run the pump power to a junction box, add a plug and receptacle, and when you needed the generator, unplug from the line and plug it into the generator?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Couldn't you run the pump power to a junction box, add a plug and receptacle, and when you needed the generator, unplug from the line and plug it into the generator?
    Funny you should suggest that. My cottage boiler is wired exactly like that and I always thought it was about the lamest thing I ever saw. So people actually wire major circuits through SJO cord? I wonder how many of the other hacks I've discovered in my cottage are actually recommended practice?
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    How do I get water using an extension cord?
    Submersible pump, all wiring contained in conduit all the way back to the panel. Seems to my layman mind that anything I do to make that "extension cord ready" would itself be a violation.
    If you have a well you will have a pressure switch located somewhere close to the storage tank. This is where I take a cord and connect my generator. Surely your pressure switch is not located in your panel so somewhere in that conduit there is a pressure switch that turns the pump on and off.

Couldn't individual key items be fed through pull-out disconnect boxes? Have a tie-in point for an extension cord between the disconnect box and the item.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    ...pressure switch...This is where I take a cord and connect my generator.
    Can you post a picture of your setup?
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    Can you post a picture of your setup?

That is Top Secret and may be a violation of forum policy. lol

What is the problem with Twist-locks ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

If you have a well you will have a pressure switch located somewhere close to the storage tank. This is where I take a cord and connect my generator. Surely your pressure switch is not located in your panel so somewhere in that conduit there is a pressure switch that turns the pump on and off.
    If you feed into the pressure switch, you would need to disconnect the incoming wires from the panel to the switch in some manner, other wise you are backfeeding the panel. Unless you have set up some switching situation. Pressure switches are awfully tight places to work in, and removing the normal feed wires would be painful.

Perhaps you shut off the breaker to the pump, but you are only one click away from backfeeding in that scenario. Whats your layout for this extension cord to the pump?

Remove the line side wiring and attach the cord to the pressure switch. Nothing hard about it at all. Takes less time than connecting cord to outlet and switching all the breakers in the panel off and so forth.

With the line side conductors removed from the switch there is no way to back feed the panel.

Once connected to generator – start generator – go to barn water horses – turn off generator until next time needed for water
    Using this method I can use one tank of gas for a week or longer and do not pollute the air with exhaust.

Don't forget to turn off the breaker for your water pump, before disconnecting the pressure switch and adding your Twist Lock pig tail.

If you have a way to tell when power is restored, That is a plus. 1 light in the house will tell you.

I fake the neighbors out here with my lights that always have power. They wonder why their house is dead and I have power.

Be careful playing with electricity.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Remove the line side wiring and attach the cord to the pressure switch. Nothing hard about it at all. Takes less time than connecting cord to outlet and switching all the breakers in the panel off and so forth.

With the line side conductors removed from the switch there is no way to back feed the panel.

Once connected to generator start generator go to barn water horses turn off generator until next time needed for water
    Using this method I can use one tank of gas for a week or longer and do not pollute the air with exhaust.
    I keep a generator at one property with a twist lock cord permanently wired into a tiny subpanel. I shut off the breaker and then start the genset and then plug in the cord. I keep a insulated cap over the hot cord, zip tie it up high and tag it as hot.

But on my main property, I just backfeed into a 30 amp breaker, shut off the main, shut most everything else off, and run the pump which is FAR away from there. Then the fridge and freezer get fed with extension cords. Beats 800$ for another genset to rot away while not being used. Our power losses are few, and I have 3000g of water up the hill at 30 psi, so needs are small except in a wildfire.

One should always get the genset running before kicking pump on line.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    I keep a generator at one property with a twist lock cord permanently wired into a tiny subpanel. I shut off the breaker and then start the genset and then plug in the cord. I keep a insulated cap over the hot cord, zip tie it up high and tag it as hot.

But on my main property, I just backfeed into a 30 amp breaker, shut off the main, shut most everything else off, and run the pump which is FAR away from there. Then the fridge and freezer get fed with extension cords. Beats 800$ for another genset to rot away while not being used. Our power losses are few, and I have 3000g of water up the hill at 30 psi, so needs are small except in a wildfire.

One should always get the genset running before kicking pump on line.

I would not recommend a setup like that, unless you just want something that works.

The Code Police will get you, unless you pay a Fee.

It will be a sad day when they come poking around and wanting a inspection for Insurance Renewal.

A Hot Male Twist-lock can be a shocking experience.

Once upon a time there was a man who liked to play with Crocodiles but he is no longer with us, Steve Irwin.

So my advice is to either do things in a safe manner or look forward to meeting Steve. Playing with danger such as described above is a sure way to join the un-living.

Oh I bet there are many more hair-raising setups that no one will admit to. 10 years ago I had AC installed and the installer got into my meter box for some reason. Since then the little lock wire has been visibly and obviously cut and in over 100 visits by the "meter reader" it's never been replaced.
    Soooo...when I backfeed my house I pull the meter and connect the genny cord right to the bottom meter lugs. Works for me until such time that I replace my panel.
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI

Once upon a time there was a man who liked to play with Crocodiles but he is no longer with us, Steve Irwin.
    At the time of his death Steve was doing the same thing thousands of tourists do every year--swimming with manta rays. It's the irony that makes his accidental death so interesting.
    Romeo and Atlanta, MI