how to handle shower curb

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I am learning a good way to handle shower curb (wood). I found there are three ways to take care of a shower curb:

1. waterproof membrane with lath, then tiling on the top of it with thinset;
2. waterproof membrane with plastic U cover, then tiling on the top of it with thinset;
3. waterproof membrane, then tiling on top of it with thinset;

I can see the #1 option is better. #3 is better than #2 if the membrane is not a regular smooth plastic membrane, like Oatey, I think.

Basically the tile need to be bound well with the curb. smooth U cover and smooth plastic membrane will not help on the purpose. Some membrane like Kerdi and NobleSeal TS are not smooth surface but with fabric hairs which will be a good way to go with #3 above.

What's your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The curb construction is one of the most messed up ones in the industry - it has to be done right, or it will eventually fail.

1. You can't just wrap lath over the liner and then tile using thinset...you need to add a layer of mortar on the curb first to embed the lath and provide the desired slope. Then, you can add the thinset and tile (after the original mortar has set). You need a different, richer mix of mortar for strength, and to form than you use in the pan. This is the method used in a conventional shower. Getting the liner installed so it is waterproof, with the corners, etc., is very detail oriented.
2. Not familiar with this as such...there are some foam curb assemblies designed for direct bonding a membrane such as Kerdi to. Schluter makes them, as do others (and you do not need to use Schluter's). These get bonded to the subfloor or slab with thinset. Only used with surface membranes for the most part, but you could treat it as in #1, but it would end up even bigger.
3. You cannot apply Kerdi (or any of the shower membranes I'm familiar with) directly to wood...you need to cover the wood with one of the approved backer materials first. What is allowed is covered in their installation instruction manual. Then, it's similar to a wall/floor/corner situation. Schluter does have inside and outside corners to aid in keeping this waterproof, but they also have other methods that work.

lmei007

Reaction score
The curb construction is one of the most messed up ones in the industry - it has to be done right, or it will eventually fail.

3. You cannot apply Kerdi (or any of the shower membranes I'm familiar with) directly to wood...you need to cover the wood with one of the approved backer materials first. What is allowed is covered in their installation instruction manual. Then, it's similar to a wall/floor/corner situation. Schluter does have inside and outside corners to aid in keeping this waterproof, but they also have other methods that work.

you are right. Because Kerdi needs to be "thinset"ed with the underneath structure which wood is not a good option.

How about Kerdi on top of wood and then lath with mortar, and finally tile with thinset?

Then I need to make lath by myself. Option 3 may be easier.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd use one of the approved methods. If you're going to use Kerdi, it is designed and only warrantied as a surface membrane, not as a conventional liner. I would not want to try to use lath with it as on a conventional liner...too easy to poke a hole with that sharp stuff. WOrks fine when installed as designed, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks