Retrofit existing fixture for motion detecting

Users who are viewing this thread

Hunter01

Reaction score
Does someone make a retrofit kit for existing outdoor light fixtures? I'm looking to make two of my six outdoor lights (matching design) into motion detecting mode (dusk to dawn). Tried a search on this site and a search for products without much success (Did find one for $65 - could easily buy a new fixture for that, but it wouldn't match the others).

Hunter01

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I looked the the site and wondered if the wire between the sensor and box has to be enclosed somehow - conduit or similar?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends, but on many of them, the lead to the actual sensor is low-voltage, and can be exposed. You may be able to read the instructions on the manufacturer's website to see exactly what's required.

Hunter01

Reaction score
OK, nothing is ever easy - Did a little checking on the Heath/Zenith unit and the control box requires a 4" electrical box in the wall for mounting (size requirements). Mine, of course, has a shallow round box - no room. Any other specific recommendations? May have to go with new fixtures. Also, the existing fixtures are fully enclosed, bulb upright, not open bottom.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on how your existing lights are mounted, just buy a cheap motion sensing fixture and mount the sensor on your existing box, even if you have to use an extension, then connect it to the wiring as per the directions. However, if one switch controls all the lights, including the "dark" ones, it will not work, because a dusk to dawn light needs continual power.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Depending on how your existing lights are mounted, just buy a cheap motion sensing fixture and mount the sensor on your existing box, even if you have to use an extension, then connect it to the wiring as per the directions. However, if one switch controls all the lights, including the "dark" ones, it will not work, because a dusk to dawn light needs continual power.

I just drilled a hole underneath the light in the lower section of the light fixture and mounted the sensor there. Only 3 wires to deal with. I bought mine at Home Depot for $24 2 years ago.
;-)
You can always tape the switch on so it won't get bumped. It is nice to be able to turn the switch off and on to have the lights be constant on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks