(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Retrofit existing fixture for motion detecting

Default Retrofit existing fixture for motion detecting

Does someone make a retrofit kit for existing outdoor light fixtures? I'm looking to make two of my six outdoor lights (matching design) into motion detecting mode (dusk to dawn). Tried a search on this site and a search for products without much success (Did find one for $65 - could easily buy a new fixture for that, but it wouldn't match the others).

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Yes, I have a couple of older versions of these (and there are others) in service for over 20-years. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=4027916
    Last edited by Terry; 11-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the quick response. I looked the the site and wondered if the wire between the sensor and box has to be enclosed somehow - conduit or similar?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Depends, but on many of them, the lead to the actual sensor is low-voltage, and can be exposed. You may be able to read the instructions on the manufacturer's website to see exactly what's required.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

OK, nothing is ever easy - Did a little checking on the Heath/Zenith unit and the control box requires a 4" electrical box in the wall for mounting (size requirements). Mine, of course, has a shallow round box - no room. Any other specific recommendations? May have to go with new fixtures. Also, the existing fixtures are fully enclosed, bulb upright, not open bottom.

Depending on how your existing lights are mounted, just buy a cheap motion sensing fixture and mount the sensor on your existing box, even if you have to use an extension, then connect it to the wiring as per the directions. However, if one switch controls all the lights, including the "dark" ones, it will not work, because a dusk to dawn light needs continual power.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Depending on how your existing lights are mounted, just buy a cheap motion sensing fixture and mount the sensor on your existing box, even if you have to use an extension, then connect it to the wiring as per the directions. However, if one switch controls all the lights, including the "dark" ones, it will not work, because a dusk to dawn light needs continual power.
    I just drilled a hole underneath the light in the lower section of the light fixture and mounted the sensor there. Only 3 wires to deal with. I bought mine at Home Depot for $24 2 years ago.
    ;-)
    You can always tape the switch on so it won't get bumped. It is nice to be able to turn the switch off and on to have the lights be constant on.