Removing Low Flow Restrictor on Kohler Showerhead

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I removed the o-ring off the restrictor that was under the debris screen.
I tried gently but the green restrictor part does not budge easily - hence the post.
I'm not sure how Kohler got it in but is there any way of removing it without destroying it ?

kohlershower.jpg

Chefwong

Reaction score
I ended up drilling it out in a attempt to drill and then remove the green part in-whole.
They have really got it put in. It's thick gauge plastic....that won't bend easily with a pick or needlenose plier.
I removed as much as I could - cleaned it up with a round rasp (and even used a coarse round rasp very carefully) as the plastic is that thick !

I'm sure I might have had better results if I was do it on the ~knuckle~ side, but I would not see a easy means of removing the head cover....and I did not want to mess with the finish that much doing any prying.

Removing these on the Grohes is a walk in the park compared to this one

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I skipped by this, but can't resist. Why do you think you need more water than the legal amount?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use one of those shower heads, but I can't remember if I left the restrictor in or not. Sometimes my son James will remove them on installs.

They are pretty nice shower heads.

Chefwong

Reaction score
For stronger water pressure.....of course

It's all relative I suppose.

Dishwashers take 2hrs to complete a cycle these days. Non phosphate powder cleans like crap...
So I use less water but more electricity ...

I've had my Miele guy go into the ~service menu~ on my laundry machine and increase the water level of the machine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hate to tell you, but water pressure does not increase by removing the flow restrictor. What is it you are removing? It's the FLOW restrictor, not a pressure regulator.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This all assumes you have a big enough WH and the pipe sizes are sufficient, otherwise, it won't help much, or at least for long.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Dishwashers take 2hrs to complete a cycle these days. Non phosphate powder cleans like crap...
So I use less water but more electricity ...

Dishwashers take longer now because they spend a lot of time soaking the dishes; they really don't use more electricity because the pumps aren't going full blast during those two hours. If you use the 1HR cycle like we have on our new Kenmore Elite dishwasher (amazing quality and performer), you use both more water and more electricity than on the 2.5 hour cycle Smart Wash.

Anyway, we have found that Finish Powerball Tabs do an amazing job and are way cheaper than brands like Cascade. Better and cheaper -- a combo I like.

Chefwong

Reaction score
DW Powder is a whole nuther thread in itself ;-/
Cascade Platinum or Finnish Quantum are priced fairly similar, but Quantum ethches certain glass in my brief testing...
I'm still working off my stash of Phosphate DW powder.

Fellow Plumbers, have you seen a SPIKE in dishwasher intalls/replacements over the past couple of years ?
I can easily wonder how many consumers end up replacing their machine recently thinking it's just poor performaning, when the reality is - the current stuff on the market is just up to snuff, compared to the previous phosphate formulations..

DDAANOS

Reaction score
fibrous disk

HI Terry, can you tell me what is the fibrous disk, that sits between the plastic water flow restrictor and the cone shaped mesh screen. I'm referring to the Kohler Flipside shower head. Thanks

I use one of those shower heads, but I can't remember if I left the restrictor in or not. Sometimes my son James will remove them on installs.

They are pretty nice shower heads.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I use a large wood screw and screw it into the resistor then grab the screw head with a pair of pliers and pull. I alway remove the restrictor, but once i had a customer that asked me to put it back.

DDAANOS

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the fibrous disk, that sits between the plastic water flow restrictor and the cone shaped mesh screen, is there for?. I'm referring to the Kohler Flipside shower head. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks