Nice site !

Users who are viewing this thread

feeln17

Reaction score
Love all I've learned searching this site. A world of information here!. Question , I'm replacing a shower unit with a tiled shower. After demo I found that the old drain was just 1 1/2" I plan on replacing that with 2" tapping directly into the main 4" drain under the house in the crawl space. I capped the old 1 1/2' off. how can I achive a vent ? can I just tie the old 1 1/2" into the new 2" ? or do I need to tap the new 2" directly into the vent going up the wall? Where to I tap the new 2" vent into the drain? befor the trap or after? Hope you all can figure out what I'm asking because I'm confused :eek:

thanks for any help Don

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't tie the 2" to the 1.5". You will need a new 4" X 2" Y. You will have to look for a vent. Does the shower look like it was added after the house was built? My guess is there was a tub there at one time and someone converted it to a shower. There should be a vent near by somewhere maybe in a wall.

feeln17

Reaction score
thanks

thanks Cass, yes, I understand that I will have to have a 4'x2" y to tie the new 2" into the main drain. With all that done, how do I get a vent on that drain? can I just put another 2" x 1 1/2" y in the line and hook it to the old 1 1/2" to achive the venting? Being that old drain must be vented somewhere.
also where on the old line do i tap into, before the p-trap or after? I can't see where the old drain connects to the vent but I'm pretty sure it shares that vent with the water closet. there is a wall ( housing the vent to the roof that will serve as a shower wall) that I have open ,so I can get to the vent there. thanks for any other help. sorry for my confusion Thanks don

Last edited:

feeln17

Reaction score
hello again

getting ready to plumb shower befor sheetrock, couple of questions, I have 1/2" cpvc supply lines coming up thru floor that fed old shower. We are planning to use a single valve control with diverter on valve, 1 line to shower head, 1 to hand held shower. can I just stick with the 1/2" cpcv or would I be better to convert to copper? ( pro's & cons)If so, where do I need to start the copper from and what size is best? thanks for any help I can get. Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks